News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Developers
Dial call to RingCentral number (not RingOut) via HTTP GET
Tags: ringout
Nov 30, 2017 at 3:46pm   •   5 replies  •  0 likes
raygan-kelly

I've been using the RingOut API described here to connect calls using a simple script. It works great for calls where the calling party is on a non-RingCentral number (a via RingOut) but it doesn't seem to work for connecting a call to a RingCentral number, for example if the caller is using the RingCentral soft phone app.

Is there a similar, simple API to connect a call from a RingCentral number to an outside number? Ideally something with a simple HTTP GET command like the RingOut API?

5 Answers
answered on Dec 1, 2017 at 7:16am  
Thanks! I had been looking for a way to do this with AppleScript, or failing that using something server side like the RingOut API, but this is much simpler.

answered on Nov 30, 2017 at 9:38pm  
> Really all I want is a way to run a script locally on a Mac to start a phone call. 

That is easy. Run the following command:

open "rcmobile://call?number=123456789"

It will make the call in softphone.

answered on Nov 30, 2017 at 8:37pm  
I'm not getting an error message when using the RingOut API.  It just fails to do anything. When I use the address below specifying an external number (like my cell phone) as the "from" number, the call connects. When I specify an RC number nothing happens.  (I've Xed out all the user and phone info)
https://service.ringcentral.com/ringout.asp?cmd=call&username=1888XXXXXXX&ext=X&password=XXXXXXXXXX&from=XXXXXXXXXX&to=XXXXXXXXXX&clid=1888XXXXXXX&prompt=1
It's not particularly surprising that the RingOut API isn't working for this, since I think the documentation states that it doesn't work for RC numbers. I'm looking for a way to start a direct call.

The webrtc API isn't an option for me. I'm doing this in a shell script. In this case, like this: 
curl -silent -o ~/.log.html "https://service.ringcentral.com/ringout.asp?cmd=call&username=1888XXXXXXX&ext=X&password=XXXXXXXXXX&from=XXXXXXXXXX&to=${number}&clid=1888XXXXXXX&prompt=1"  
Really all I want is a way to run a script locally on a Mac to start a phone call. If the RingCentral for Mac softphone app supported AppleScript I'd be able to do what I'm trying to do that way too, but it doesn't seem to.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

answered on Nov 30, 2017 at 5:01pm  
You can make a direct call (not ringout) with the webrtc API: https://github.com/ringcentral/ringcentral-web-phone

But if your app is not running in browser, it is not a viable solution.

answered on Nov 30, 2017 at 4:58pm  
As far as I can tell, there is only one ringout API available. Could you please post the error message?

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us