News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Developers
ForwardingNumber always come back as null
Tags: call forwarding
Apr 24, 2018 at 9:57am   •   5 replies  •  0 likes
corey-tenney

I am currently creating a Windows Application in C#. Its super basic and "dirty". Requirements:

1. Download all extensions and put in an xls file. 2. Download all call-forwarding and put in an xls file. 3. Upload changes from 2 above 4. Download all caller id and put in an xls file. 5. Upload changes from 4 above. #1 is completed and works marvelously. Here is the basic code:

RestClient rc = new RestClient(_clientId, _clientSecret);             await rc.Authorize(_username, _extension, _password);             var rcClient = rc.Restapi().Account();             var extensions = await rcClient.Extension().List();                List<ExtensionsClass> exts = new List<ExtensionsClass>();             for(int i=0;i<extensions.records.Count();i++)             {                 ExtensionsClass ext = new ExtensionsClass();                 ext.id = extensions.records[i].id;                 ext.extensionNumber = extensions.records[i].extensionNumber;                 ext.name = extensions.records[i].name;                 exts.Add(ext);             }             DataTable dt = new DataTable();  

#2 however I use the following code and the forwarding number always comes back null:

RestClient rc = new RestClient(_clientId, _clientSecret);  await rc.Authorize(_username, _extension, _password);  var rcClient = rc.Restapi().Account("~");     List<CallFwdRecord> exts = new List<CallFwdRecord>();  foreach (DataRow dr in dt.Rows)  {      var extn = await rcClient.Extension(dr["id"].ToString()).ForwardingNumber().Get();            //var extensions = await rcClient.Extension(dr["id"].ToString()).ForwardingNumber().Get();      CallFwdRecord ext = new CallFwdRecord();      IList<string> features = new List<string>();      //features = rcClient.F;      //ext.features = features;      //ext.flipNumber = extensions.records[0].flipNumber;      //ext.id = extensions.records[0].id;      //ext.label = extensions.records[0].label;      //ext.phoneNumber = extensions.records[0].phoneNumber;      //ext.uri = extensions.records[0].uri;      exts.Add(ext);   

}

Ideas?

TIA

5 Answers
answered on Apr 30, 2018 at 9:49am  
Tyler this worked good.... now to try and update them.

answered on Apr 26, 2018 at 11:22pm  
It is caused by type mismatching.  It is defined as string in C# code: https://github.com/ringcentral/ringcentral-csharp-client/blob/master/RingCentral/Definitions/Forward...

But the server returns an array of strings for it. That's why a JsonReaderExcepetion was thrown.

The C# code was generated according to swagger spec. I think there is a bug in the swagger spec. I have created an issue for the spec and I will follow up.

For now, a workaround is to get the json string and parse the string youself:
var response = await rc.Get(extension.ForwardingNumber().Endpoint(false)); 
var jsonString = await response.Content.ReadAsStringAsync(); // parse the jsonString to get what you want

answered on Apr 26, 2018 at 11:00am  
Thank you for your responses.  I had tried List() but get the following error:

An exception of type 'Newtonsoft.Json.JsonReaderException' occurred in mscorlib.dll but was not handled in user code

Additional information: Unexpected character encountered while parsing value: [. Path 'records[0].features', line 8, position 18.

answered on Apr 24, 2018 at 2:32pm  
Phong is correct. If you want the list of forwarding numbers, you need to .ForwardingNumber().List() instead of .ForwardingNumber().Get()

answered on Apr 24, 2018 at 2:03pm  
Hi Corey,

Basically, the forwarding-number/{forwardingId} end point returns a list of forwarding numbers. You can parse the response from that API the same way you parsed the extension list. I am not sure about the name of the class but you can look for the class from the SDK. Maybe something like this ForwardingNumber().List

You then have to check if the list is empty or not. Also, make sure that forwarding number is defined for that extension (for sandbox https://service.devtest.ringcentral.com or for production https://service.ringcentral.com)

I will check 3., 4. and 5. and update you later.

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us