question

justin-nguyen11499 avatar image
justin-nguyen11499 asked Tyler Liu commented

Message status

When I send SMS, I can get the message status as Queued, Sent, SendingFailed, Delivered, DeliveryFailed, Received. I want to know, how to different between Delivered and Sent, SendingFailed and DeliveryFailed ? Also, when the message status is Queued, is it definitely sent ?

sms and text messaging
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

anton-nikitin avatar image
anton-nikitin answered Tyler Liu commented
"Sent" -- reached SMS provider/carrier, "Delivered" -- reached the recipient. For instance if the mobile phone you are sending to is switched off, the carrier tries to deliver within 48 hours or so and then expires the message so that you will get "DeliveryFailed" status. At the same time US carriers do not always send the confirmation of successful delivery, so even if the status is "Sent" in reality it can be delivered to the recipient but we don't know about it. At the same time "DeliveryFailed" is properly propagated to us in most cases.

"Queued" status means that the message is in queue and hasn't reached SMS provider yet. For instance if SMS provider service is temporarily unavailable we queue the message and retry.
2 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

justin-nguyen11499 avatar image justin-nguyen11499 commented ·
So when the message updates status, Can I receive any event from server if I am registering ? I want to confirm exactly the status of my message which was sent to my customers
0 Likes 0 ·
Tyler Liu avatar image Tyler Liu ♦ commented ·
Check  https://developer.ringcentral.com/api-docs/latest/index.html#!#EventTypes.html

https://developer.ringcentral.com/api-docs/latest/index.html#!#RefGetMessageEvent

So you can get notification when messages update. You need to issue extra API requests to check how they update.
0 Likes 0 ·

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys