question

eric-hodges12812 avatar image
eric-hodges12812 asked eric-hodges12812 commented

I need help diagnosing an undelivered fax.

I'm testing some Java code to send faxes via RingCentral. Some of my faxes are sent and delivered. Other faxes have get the same response from the REST API, but are never delivered. They are all using the same credentials and going to the same fax number.

When I look in the call logs for the app, I don't see the faxes that weren't delivered.

Both responses look like they succeeded, with a message status of "Queued".

Is there anything I can do to find out what happened to the fax that was never delivered after it left my client?

getting started
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Tyler Liu avatar image
Tyler Liu answered eric-hodges12812 commented
You need to continue to poll the call logs status. "Queued" means the message hasn't been sent yet. If sending is failed you will see the status as "Failed".
1 comment
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

eric-hodges12812 avatar image eric-hodges12812 commented ·
The fax that is never delivered never shows up in my call log.  I see "queued" in the response from the server, but the fax never shows up in my log.  Is there some other place I should be looking to diagnose this failure?
0 Likes 0 ·
eric-hodges12812 avatar image
eric-hodges12812 answered eric-hodges12812 commented
Follow up:

I was using the Java library provided by RingCentral when I wrote this question.  Since then I have abandoned that library and written my own code.  RingCentral's code depends on OkHttpClient, which spawns threads that never die and tries to hide its connection pool management.  Once I stopped using that and started using an Apache HttpClient all of my faxes are being delivered.  I'm not sure why they weren't when I used the RingCentral JAR.
2 comments
1 |3000

Tyler Liu avatar image Tyler Liu ♦ commented ·
Thank you for the update. It might be a coincidence. We have users using the Java SDK who have no problem sending faxes. But I appreciate if you provide me a way to reproduce the issue. Like the code you used to send fax with RingCentral Java SDK. Thanks.
0 Likes 0 ·
eric-hodges12812 avatar image eric-hodges12812 commented ·
Sorry, I didn't save any of that code.  It was based on the code in com.ringcentral.FaxTest.

It might have had something to do with setting the filename field in the request body part for an attachment.  I notice that when I set that field I get the same behavior (response says queued but fax never arrives and never shows up in call log).  When I leave that field empty it works.
0 Likes 0 ·

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys