question

sa-19974 avatar image
sa-19974 asked paul-pecullan commented

How to have one group forward to another group if unanswered

UK

How do I forward one group to another group if unanswered. Both groups are setup as simultaneous ring groups. See pic...

call forwarding
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

sa-19974 avatar image
sa-19974 answered max-yegorov commented
Thanks. The users are all extensions not numbers. Doesn't look like I can add extensions to a ring group as it's expecting full phone numbers. Otherwise that looked like it would have worked.
4 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

kevin-hart10450 avatar image kevin-hart10450 commented ·
Luke, I agree with SA 1. This is a big problem and we don't necessarily want to have an external number for every call queue. We want to be able to ring a queue and if nobody answers (not busy, just no answer) then go on to the next queue or overflow queue. This seems like a simple ask, and is posted allover the forums but we never get a solution for this.
1 Like 1 ·
luke2909 avatar image luke2909 commented ·
The field for phone number in the Call Handling & Forwarding list will have to be a complete phone number, and will have to be an external phone number.

In order to add a phone from another extension you will have to follow step 1 in the process from my post above.
0 Likes 0 ·
foxxc avatar image foxxc commented ·
Couldn't agree more with Kevin.
0 Likes 0 ·
max-yegorov avatar image max-yegorov commented ·
I also agree, this is a fairly straightforward feature that I believe a lot of businesses would find very useful.
0 Likes 0 ·
jon-friesen1 avatar image
jon-friesen1 answered
This should really be a native feature of the Group queues, which already have a "When maximum hold time is reached, send caller to..." feature.  Please upvote these feature requests and let's get this in RC.  Even crummy Comcast Voiceedge has this :)

https://community.ringcentral.com/ringcentral/topics/please-allow-calls-to-go-to-overflow-on-a-timer
https://community.ringcentral.com/ringcentral/topics/call-queue-should-overflow-if-agents-are-availa...
https://community.ringcentral.com/ringcentral/topics/ability-to-send-new-caller-to-unconditional-cal...

1 |3000

foxxc avatar image
foxxc answered
Worked with several members of support staff to find a solution here, but we have it.
1. Build your call queue/voice group under ONE user, as a ring group. (Same effect as call queue, fully customizable.)
2. Disable "take messages"
3. On missed call, direct to another group/extension/IVR tree.
1 |3000

max-yegorov avatar image
max-yegorov answered paul-pecullan commented
Hello Foxx Conner-Bailey,

I'm not sure what you mean by building a call queue under one user.  We already have numerous call queues set up for the different routing patterns on incoming calls; we want to be able to utilize the existing call queues as they are.
4 comments
1 |3000

Hello Max, 

Creating a ring group with the same timers and order sequentially under one user, in ring order, has the same effect as a call queue group. Because you cannot route to another call queue right after one, I'm providing a workaround, that's all. That's how I did it for our company.
1 Like 1 ·
paul-pecullan avatar image paul-pecullan commented ·
I must disagree.  There are a few very important differences between Ring Groups and Call queues:  https://support.ringcentral.com/s/article/10183?language=en_US   
1 Like 1 ·
max-yegorov avatar image max-yegorov commented ·
Understood; thank you for the idea, however that would require a lot of changes on how our back-end is set up and I feel that this is a feature RingCentral should hopefully implement with enough support.  I do appreciate you offering your workaround.
0 Likes 0 ·
I do totally understand and I couldn't agree more with you. I'm just lucky it only took a bit of work to reconfigure our setup. Best of luck to you with this!!
0 Likes 0 ·
taylor9773 avatar image
taylor9773 answered
Add all of the numbers to the extension profile (not the ring group, but the numbers). Then, select the ones for the first group. Click 'Create Ring Group'. Repeat for the second.

Enable voicemail on the extension, with email notification.

Five minutes setup, tops.

Note: you'll want to keep the setting as 'sequentially' because it's going down the list of ring groups sequentially. If you change to simultaneous then the grouping here will be disregarded.

1 |3000

luke2909 avatar image
luke2909 answered
Hi SA 1,

You should be able to set up multiple Ring Groups in one user's Call Handling & Forwarding settings to accomplish this.
  1. First, you will have to use the "Add Other's Phones" option to add all the phones that will ring in both groups. See step 7 in our Configure a User's Call Forwarding article for instructions.
  2. Then you will have to create two Ring Groups as Taylor was showing you, see step 8 in the Call Forwarding article above.
  3. Once you have set the time you want each group to ring before forwarding, you need to set up your voicemail options. See our article Setting up Messages & Notifications for details.
  4. The last step would be to set up any email notifications you would like sent out once a voicemail is received. See the Notifications by Email section in the Messages & Notifications article for steps on setting that feature. 
Let us know if that helps you set up the call flow you want.
1 |3000

sa-19974 avatar image
sa-19974 answered
Luke - the issue is that the number cannot be an extension. It rejects it as an invalid number. It appears you cannot create ring groups from extensions as the field expects telephone numbers.

1 |3000

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app