News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Users
Desktop App: Will it run on Linux?
Tags: ringcentral app
Feb 1, 2016 at 9:52am   •   14 replies  •  0 likes
mike
14 Answers
answered on Sep 13, 2019 at 6:04am  
This issue is 4 years old, and there's still no Linux version!
Are you joking?

answered on Jul 20, 2018 at 9:51am  
AND... this is why we prefer Google Hangouts.  No need for an external "handler".  Time to get a clue, kids.

answered on Apr 19, 2018 at 6:30am  
RingCentral currently don't have linux support. Let's use Zoom instead.

answered on Jan 5, 2018 at 8:07am  
Not to my knowledge - they definitely know folks are clamoring for HUD on Chrome - and we are leading that pack of "beggars" on that issue!

answered on Jan 5, 2018 at 8:05am  
Does this mean that the Chrome Extension v4.0 will have the HUD functionality?

answered on Jan 5, 2018 at 7:17am  
The Google Chrome Extension ver 4.0 is starting Beta soon, contact your Customer Success Mgr. to ask to join the test group.

answered on Jan 4, 2018 at 9:33pm  
Same here, I only use Linux and I can't receive escalation calls due not running the app natively. Even with the mobile app or the chrome extension it doesn't allows you to be part of HUB or group diversion due to the device type :(

answered on Sep 20, 2017 at 2:03pm  
We're running Linux, and the Chrome extension does work similarly to the Softphone Desktop application for Windows.  However, we depend on the HUD feature in the regular Desktop app which the extension doesn't have.  We need HUB for the extension asap! 

answered on Sep 14, 2017 at 12:27pm  
It's great having a Chrome extension for scheduling meetings, but it's not usefull if it depends on the Desktop App.

As the Desktop App doesn't run on Linux, there's no way to run RC on Linux.

Emulation with Wine could be an option, but it's not the right way.

Android is Linux-based and it has official support. Even Zoom has official Linux support.

Please add support for Linux.

Thanks.

answered on Mar 13, 2017 at 11:33am  
How come it says "Powered by Zoom" yet Zoom supports Linux video calls and you don't ?

answered on Oct 14, 2016 at 2:20pm  
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled RingCentral App on Linux. Hi, 
I found a solution by adding the extension to google mail.  I'm glad you replied back because it at least show you have concern, but I have lead a support team in the past and I would highly advise you to get your support team to tell linux customers that they can still use the gmail extension.  

And on top of that, if you have a google extension, why not just make a web browser-based one as well, and that would fix almost 100% compatibility issues. 

photoChad Brooks
Project Manager/Executive Assistant - Boost Media GroupA 1485 Bay Shore Blvd. Suite 177 San Francisco, CA 94124
P  (415) 599-2956  P  800.35.Social  ext 176 F  916.302.4742  E  chad@boostmediagroup.com  W  www.boostmediagroup.com 

answered on Feb 24, 2016 at 6:31am  
I didn't know there was a Chrome App, I'll definitely try that.  I have installed the softphone app in Fedora23 using wine.  It crashed almost immediately, added some msxml libraries (all I think) and that seems to have helped a bit.  If I find the "magic bullet" in terms of libraries that keep it stable I'll gladly post, but ultimately I would really love RingCentral to show some love for the Linux folks out there. 

answered on Feb 1, 2016 at 10:06am  
I've never tried Mike, but I have played around with Ubuntu a wee bit in the past. There is a program called Wine that allows you to run Windows programs in Linux. The ultimate answer is I don't know, but it would be interesting to see if it would work in Wine. I just spoke with my brother who has an extra Linux machine laying around. When he gets the chance he's going to load it to see what happens. I'll give you feedback then, but just know my brother works on manana time, so it might be awhile.

answered on Feb 1, 2016 at 9:58am  
No, but you can install the RingCentral for Google Chrome app, which will give you most of the functionality as the desktop app. 

This is not officially supported for Linux, but, It does seem to work on Ubuntu version 14.04. 

If anyone else has tested it on other versions feel free to post and let us know your experience. 

I installed the extension on both Chrome, and Chromium and it worked well on both. You will need to have a DL to dial use the dial from Browser option.

Mike

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us