News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Users
Desktop app issues in Enterprise environments
Tags: developers
Sep 13, 2018 at 7:28am   •   4 replies  •  0 likes
robert-czymoch

I am looking for comments and suggestions on using the Desktop app in an enterprise environment. Below I will cover some of the issues we are having.

We are a new RC customer with 400 users. Our initial experiences with the Desktop app have been mixed. For example we have a branch that is using nothing but the desktop app. The main number rings to a ring group. The phones assigned do not all ring at the same time. Some do not even ring at all, but they might for the next call. We have made firewall adjusts onsite as per RC knowledge base articles. The other issue is that there seems to be no Admin install version of the MSI file. We have no problems with users being able to install without admin rights, but when you run the app a windows firewall exception notice comes up with DOES require admin rights. Since our users are not admins this presents a problem in Enterprise environments. As a work around I deployed a group policy that adds the following program path as an exception:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\RingCentral\SoftPhoneApp\Softphone.exe

However if the user clicks cancel on the notice Windows actually puts a block on the softphone.exe. I am not sure if that overrides my exception.

Suggestions or thoughts?

4 Answers
answered on May 11, 2020 at 4:03pm  
old post, but getting the same thing, in further research it appers to be asking for INBOUND access on the windows built in firewall. I dont see a reason why any RC App should need Inbound port access. Outbound yes, inbound NO. 

answered on Apr 27, 2020 at 11:49am  
Robert,

We are experiencing this Windows Defender Firewall issue as well.  Were you ever able to determine if a block is indeed put on softphone.exe when the user clicks Cancel on the Windows Firewall message?

answered on Sep 14, 2018 at 10:11am  
Thanks for jumping in, Jeff.

I don't what happened (looking into it internally) but the download version for the RC Phone app under the User section is an MSI :/

answered on Sep 13, 2018 at 11:14am  

Robert - the RC Downloads page has two version of installers. Under the Users section the installers will install in the user's specific profile which appears to be what you are using. If you scroll down further there is an Administrators section which has the installers you would use for enterprise deployments and I believe that until recently they had this for the Windows version of the desktop phone. https://support.ringcentral.com/download.html

When I just looked it seems that they have removed the Windows desktop softphone and your only choice to pick is the RingCentral app which is Glip with some phone functionality integrated now. I'm pretty sure you can either ask support or your account rep to get you the enterprise deployable version of the desktop softphone as they need to keep providing it for customers who aren't deploying Glip.

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us