question

mark-harris12558 avatar image
mark-harris12558 asked danoreagan answered

The yellow presence has been removed

The yellow presence dot in Glip has been deactivated. I don't know when colleagues are online are offline. This is apparently due to a recent update of the Glip app. I think this is terrible as I have no idea if somebody is online or not. Can Glip be changed back to have the yellow presence dot?

presence
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

saadetswift16514 avatar image
saadetswift16514 answered megan-c commented
Hi Mark, thank you for your feedback. Our Product Team removed the Yellow status recently and are making way for a more enhanced Green Status. They will be making it computer-based so when someone is still at their computer but not active in Glip they will show as online. So you will then have 3 colors to mark your Presence: Red, Green, & Gray
5 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Jenny avatar image Jenny commented ·
Same here. We like GLIP, but we keep it minimized most of the time until we need to chat. After 15 minutes, we go grey, and it looks like we arent online. We would like a yellow (or really any other color) to show we are logged in and online, just not inside the app. 

2 Likes 2 ·
Jen Specland avatar image Jen Specland commented ·
This is a real issue for us as well.  Any updates on when this fix will happen?
1 Like 1 ·
Looks like this update happened but we still go grey after 15 minutes or so when not focused on the app but still working on our computer. We should be green all the time unless out computer goes idle for say 15 mintues. I'm not concerned about it being yellow.

1 Like 1 ·
saadetswift16514 avatar image saadetswift16514 commented ·
Hey SS Admin, which issue are you referring to? The Yellow status will not be coming back. 
0 Likes 0 ·
megan-c avatar image megan-c commented ·
I have the same issue as SS Admina above. The RingCentral app should still show someone as green/available if they are still at their computer but not active in the Glip window. 
0 Likes 0 ·
mark-harris12558 answered
Well - they removed it without adding the enhanced green status - what are we supposed to do in the interim?  We have no way of knowing who is online or not right now. Makes Glip much less useful.  Why not wait to remove yellow until the enhanced green is ready?  Do you have an ETA on the rollout of the enhanced green?  
1 |3000

saadetswift16514 answered
Unfortunately I was not given an ETA but once I hear more about it, I'll update you!
1 |3000

Well that is not good news - the Product Team has significantly damaged the app.  I don't know who thought up this roll out process for the enhanced green but they certainly need to have this on their performance review for 2018 - just a terrible way to go about things.   We are going to need an ETA one the enhanced green.   
1 |3000

Super Disappointing - can they just turn back on the yellow until they have green enhanced ready to go.  Seems like they really messed up removing yellow but not having enhanced green ready to go.  
1 |3000

saadetswift16514 answered louise-baker9690 commented
Hi Mark, the ETA is mid-December (barring any issues that may arise)
4 comments
1 |3000

louise-baker9690 avatar image louise-baker9690 commented ·
Are they ever pushing this out? 
1 Like 1 ·
paul-pecullan avatar image paul-pecullan commented ·
is this still on track for mid December?  if not then when?
0 Likes 0 ·
paul-pecullan avatar image paul-pecullan commented ·
or was that mid December 2018?  
0 Likes 0 ·
Hey Paul, that was last year. But the Product Team ran into some issues so it didn't get pushed out. 
0 Likes 0 ·
natasha-parker7073 avatar image
natasha-parker7073 answered saadetswift16514 commented
I'm happy to hear about presence finally being based on computer activity instead of activity within Glip.  However, I do have two follow-up questions (please direct me to documentation on this change if it exists):

1. When the enhancements are made, what color will presence show if someone's logged in but their computer is locked?  Seem strange to take away the Yellow away status even with the enhancements.

2. Will there be an option to automatically change your status to DND when you are presenting/projecting?

3. Will red signify busy or DND after the enhancements?
1 comment
1 |3000

Hi Natasha!

1) Your status color will be grey - unless you're on your mobile app instead, then it'll be green

2) Your status will automatically be red (Busy) when you are in a Meeting or on a Phone call - you will have the option to turn yourself to DND (which is separate)

3) Solid red = Busy
             &
    Red with a white bar = DND

:)
1 Like 1 ·
paul-parker12916 avatar image
paul-parker12916 answered
Can you clarify if one of the new status options will directly replace the previous amber status (ie online but inactive on glip >15 mins). Will green indicator change to just denoting the user is online or will it also be able to show active/inactive on glip?

I too don't see why this feature was removed, it was really helpful to show status of our dispersed team
1 |3000

we complained a lot to ringcentral about this and the engineers just ignored us - i had to move our staff to slack - lack of presence in glip now is a deal breaker for us and makes glip almost useless
1 |3000

dheighton29 avatar image
dheighton29 answered Jen Specland commented
Is there any more recent feedback on this.

This is becoming a big problem for our team as well.
7 comments
1 |3000

Hey SS Admin, unfortunately we don't have the ability to move this up since other things take priority (such as bug fixes). However, I did just follow up with the Product Team and they said they are still working on the New Presence feature and making it computer activity based. I will continue to keep an ear to the ground because I want this updated as well :)
1 Like 1 ·
Is there a better way to express this to the Product Team? I'm a product manager myself, and I'd be very interested to know if my userbase was pretty upset about a removal of a significant feature. IMO this should be given priority, as its a  huge important feature for online companies (I'm going to presume this is Ring Central's target audience). Knowing if your coworkers are online or not is a big deal. I'm not sure why RC would remove this and then not prioritize fixing it. It's been well over a year (14 months since initial complaint) and yet nothing has been done to improve it. You've even lost a client to a competitor (Mark Harris wrote above) yet still this isn't deemed important enough to fix? 
1 Like 1 ·
jessica-community-moderator avatar image jessica-community-moderator ♦♦ commented ·
Hi dheighton, 

We haven't been given any more information regarding presence at this time. 
0 Likes 0 ·
How can we get this major issue moved up the priority chain?

0 Likes 0 ·
Is there any news about the new Presence feature? How might we stay in touch with this feature?
0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app