question

kris8599 avatar image
kris8599 asked captain-marcus commented

Orbi Pro QOS

Does anyone have recommended settings for Orbi Pro wireless router setup as it relates to QOS? We are experiencing high jitter and broken conversations from our soft phone app. UK account, 10 users, 1 Gbps up/down fibre Internet connection, iMac RC soft phones, Orbi Pro wireless setup (router and satellite). We have tried numerous configurations based on RC help articles and Netgear community topics, but jitter / dropping a few seconds of conversation is still too high. Any help or advice from other SMEs using Orbi and RingCentral would be appreciated.

phone
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

saadetswift16514 avatar image
saadetswift16514 answered
Hi Kris,

I don't have experience with this router so I'm going to check with my colleagues if they do! I wanted to verify, have you checked out this Network article?
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

kris8599 avatar image
kris8599 answered
Yes -have read it and (I think) implemented the suggestions correctly. Any help from your colleagues would be appreciated.
1 |3000

saadetswift16514 avatar image
saadetswift16514 answered
Hey Kris,

Unfortunately, my colleagues are not familiar with this router :( Have you contacted Orbi Support to see if they have any suggestions?
1 |3000

eric13327 avatar image
eric13327 answered
Same issue here. Same 1gbps speed, orbi - RC is unuseable and cuts out or pumps.
1 |3000

eric13327 avatar image
eric13327 answered saadetswift16514 commented
No response?
2 comments
1 |3000

eric13327 avatar image eric13327 commented ·
No answer from RC?
0 Likes 0 ·
saadetswift16514 avatar image saadetswift16514 commented ·
Hi Eric,

As I mentioned earlier, none of my colleagues are familiar with this router. Therefore, we cannot provide any recommendations :/ Sometimes the manufacturer has recommendations for dealing with VoIP providers, so I'd start there.
0 Likes 0 ·
captain-marcus avatar image
captain-marcus answered captain-marcus commented
Reviving this post since there's been no traction.

I have the Orbi system.  It is a mesh system.

When in one satellite or the base, the calls seem to be perfectly fine, but RingCentral has major issues switching satellites.  On one occasion, I was able to hear people talking but they couldn't hear me.  I had to park and pick up the call on the computer to get it to re-establish.

So it seems RingCentral is dependent on something that is lost when switching satellites and isn't tolerant to any sort of disruption, however brief, that something experiences.  
2 comments
1 |3000

Becky-Community_Manager avatar image Becky-Community_Manager ♦♦ commented ·
I checked in with one of our Tier 3 analysts and he believes SIP ALG is enabled by default on Orbi Pro.

There are a couple of things you could attempt to improve your quality of service.
You could have DSCP marking enable on your traffic through AI for MAC users or run a Powershell script to tag your traffic on the Windows machines, and you could plug a laptop into an interface on the Orbi as a wired connection and determine if the quality and jitter improve. If so you may look at your environment and coverage of the wifi. 

I hope this helps! Happy to support you further - reach out if we can. 
0 Likes 0 ·
captain-marcus avatar image captain-marcus commented ·
I can 100% assure you that the problem isn't the Orbi.  Both of my wireless phones use Wi-Fi calling and don't experience the same disruption that RingCentral does.  Additionally, downloads, streaming media, etc. are unaffected by devices moving through different satellites/rooms, and the printer is able to handle jobs regardless of location of satellite or origin device - and the printer is also on the Orbi wirelessly.

Saying to plug into Ethernet to troubleshoot RingCentral's issue isn't a valid troubleshooting step.  Why?  Because it works fine if you stay on one satellite.  Which means, as I said, it's sensitive to something that it depends on having.  That's a RingCentral issue, not a computer issue.  If I do a Wi-Fi or a Google Voice call and it has no issues switching satellites, guess what?  It's not the computer, it's not the Orbi.  It's your service.

The best step would be for your developers to give us the technical behind what RingCentral Phone is specifically dependent on in order to persist its connection.  I'm suspecting that they built it to tolerate up to a certain latency, and didn't build in fault tolerance for higher latency than what it was built for - which goes back to the question of QoS (which is designed to deal with that transparent to the user.

0 Likes 0 ·
Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app