News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Users
unblockable repeat robo calls
Tags: phone
Mar 27, 2019 at 1:41pm   •   3 replies  •  0 likes
steve-bell

I've been on Ringcentral for six months and like the system, but am receiving robo calls both at the office, and at home that are of a nature, so persistent and repetitive that are unfortunately, going to force me to drop the system if there is no way to fix this:

I receive REPEAT robocalls about every 5 minutes, starting around 7pm and running all night. One is from "SIP VICIOUS" and the other is from "888070xxxyyyzzz" (and similar numbers - this has been going on for months). Sometimes during that daytime when i'm at the office.

The whole purpose of this system is to provide a higher quality phone system for our customers and potential customers to call in on. But this unrestricted, constant repetitive robo calla ctivity basically, renders our RingCentral phone system deployment worthless to us.

I've called into to tech support several times on this. I have blocked calls without calling party ID. But these calls don't even show up in my call log.

If RingCentral can forward the id's, fake or whatever, like SIP VICIOUS right onto my Ringcentral phone displays, why can't they allow me to block these calls? And record them in the call log?

I have been forced to disconnect my system at night, during the day when it's plugged in, 90% of my calls are this robo junk.

I get robo calls on my cell too, up to 15-20 per day, but they aren't as bad because they only call you once, at most 3 times a day. But on Ringcentral, these robo callers call me repeatedly, every 5 minutes.

Before i disconnect, i thought i would post here because i really don't want to give up on the system. I just can't deal with this though, it's too time consuming and interupts our work.

I worked at Bell Labs for 8 years so i understand VoIP, Signaling System 7, telecom -- this seems to me to be something that could be fixed if RC wanted to. I would think this would put Ringcental out of business over not too long of period?

Since it's so serious of problem -- i just wonder, WHY has it not been fixed? i've had this since i opened the account and purchased the Yealink phones 6+ months back.

Steve B.

Blastoff Labs

Digital Marketing Agency

Reno, NV

3 Answers
answered on Mar 28, 2019 at 10:52pm  
Thanks everyone for the comments on here.  The first thing i'm trying to do is login to the web interface of the W56P's base station.  I found the manuals, used the address which base station address whic is in the format 24.xx.yyy.zzz, then used the standard default admin id/password reported in the manual and online - it's supposed to be admin/admin, and there are two others.  But none work, from either Chrome or Edge - it says i'm not authorized.  And it ended up locking me out for 60 minutes.  Looks like Yealink has no phone support, are there any recommendations how to login to this thing?  And once i'm in there, what to look for in config. 

Seems like somehow, my phone is exposed to the internet.  The calls from SIPVICIOUS and similar, show up in the phone's call log; but blacklisting them on the phone doesn't work.  However they don't show up in the Ringcentral account online call log, so they appear to be coming in off the internet, vs RingCentral.  It's an "aha" to know that, but i need to login then figure out what to change...  TIA for any suggestions!

answered on Mar 27, 2019 at 2:01pm  
Hi Brandon,

That sounds like some good info!  It makes sense that these malicious repeat calls might be coming in directly off the internet, bypassing RC, since they do not show up in the call log or respond to call blocking settings. 

re: the settings, I purchased Yealink phones from RingCentral, and except to associate them to the base station haven't done anything fancy with their factory configuration.  

I have grilled their tech support staff hard on this for six months, and no one every came up with an idea like yours.  They did suggest i post here.  

I do manage the network and am fairly technical, if you send me pointers how to check this out i will execute, for sure!  If this can be fixed, that would be fantastic as i think RingCentral is a great system. 

One other thing i'm concerned about that's big -- it seems to me like, using RC introduces about 300-400mS more latency into my calls than i've had with other VoIP or cellular systems.  It makes people think you are cutting them off, or vice-versa.  Are they perhaps hosting their service from somewhere half way around the world from where i'm at (NV, USA) causing this?  Or is there perhaps a technical solution to that one?

Thanks much for your reply.  Let me know where to look and/or what to check out.  Much appreciated. 

Steve B. 

answered on Mar 27, 2019 at 1:55pm  
I'm not going to address the large topic of robocalls since it is discussed elsewhere in this forum and outside, but the SIP VICIOUS things stood out to me.  That is a well known pen test/hacking tool and if you are seeing that, it may indicate your phone is open to the internet in a way it should not be.  Either by having the phone use a public IP address (very bad idea) or forwarding/opening inbound ports to your phone (also bad).  Do you manage your own network and know how it is setup?

It is also possible someone just thought it was a cute CNAM to use too..

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us