question

samuel-febres10350 avatar image
samuel-febres10350 asked samuel-febres10350 commented

PDF preview broken

For the last week or two, PDF previews no longer seem to work on the RingCentral desktop app. Help?

Is there any way to work around this or is this a known issue that's being worked on? Thanks,

ringcentral app
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

bond007dmc9787 avatar image
bond007dmc9787 answered
Hmmm... no problem like that here - if you are referring to PDFs attached to messages/tasks. Perhaps something changed on your computer that is affecting the preview? I only say that because I don't know if attached preview or display of PDFs are completely internal to the RC app, or tied to a computer's OS viewing subsystem - whatever that may be. Maybe others can chime in as to what they are seeing?   
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

alex-c11314 avatar image
alex-c11314 answered samuel-febres10350 commented
Hi Samuel, 

The previewing PDF experience on RingCentral desktop app has recently been updated. 
Now, instead of seeing the automatic preview generating in the chat stream; the PDF will only be generated for preview once you click on the file name. 
Hope this helps.
Thanks

1 comment
1 |3000

samuel-febres10350 avatar image samuel-febres10350 commented ·
This is a bummer. We can no longer make notes to PDFs in previews. Not a fan of this update. 

0 Likes 0 ·
joe-ramsay10458 avatar image
joe-ramsay10458 answered bond007dmc9787 commented
RC has changed the way that the PDF viewer works, eliminating the in-context comments (dropped pins). In other words, it has been broken intentionally and I am told that it will not be restored. Not only will you no longer be able to place comments in context in PDF files as in the past, but the context of all previous comments in PDF files has been lost. If you click a comment made on a PDF file in the past, it no longer shows you the context for that comment. Unfortunately for me, I was in the middle of a major edit of 23 educational documents with an editorial team of 6 people when the change was made (unannounced) and we essentially lost all the work we did because I can no longer see the context for the comments. I thought there would be a huge outcry, but I guess I am the only one who cares about this I don't see any other notes about this here in the community. 
1 comment
1 |3000

bond007dmc9787 avatar image bond007dmc9787 commented ·
Ooooh, bummer! I wonder how many votes there were to implement that new "feature", and how it got to the front of the line with so many other legitimate issues that people have been begging for changes - in some case going on 4 years. No notice. No asking users (to my knowledge) how they may feel about that kind of change. Not too cool RingCentral!
1 Like 1 ·
Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app