News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Users
Company Call Handling: how to set Main Number to do not disturb (DND)?
Tags: phone
Jul 6, 2016 at 8:37am   •   5 replies  •  0 likes
cawc-receptionist

I have my direct line as well as the main company line on my phone. Is there a way for me to set the main line on do not disturb while leaving my direct line turned on?

5 Answers
answered on May 16, 2019 at 7:28am  

I know that this is an "old" thread. But it brings up a point that I am considering prior to signing with RingCentral. In the 20 years that I have been managing our corporate PBX, we have always had at least two attendant consoles. If one attendant want a break. She calls for someone to take over one of the two consoles.

This is standard for us during business hours. If the PBX receives a call outside of business hours, the call is routed to a menu/routing program that I developed in consultation with the various departments.

answered on Oct 11, 2017 at 2:12pm  
Hope this makes sense:
I don't want callers to hear a phone ring for more than 30 seconds.

I want all calls to go to receptionist and only receptionist when she is at her desk.

I want her to be able to push a button on the phone and calls go simultaneously to a group of other people (who will only hear it ring if she pushes the button). The also have their own direct lines that need to ring all the time.

If none of the others answer, IVR (on voice mail message, press 6 for directory, no entry leave a message).

On our old PBX system, there was a "FWD" toggle button that would just send all your calls to someone else. That's the functionality I'm trying to re-create (without having to log into RC, change settings, step away, remember to log back into RC, restore settings when get back).

I've suggested an Idea to be able to program the DND button to do something other than just send directly to VM, but no response yet. 
Thanks!
Renee

answered on Oct 11, 2017 at 1:56pm  
Well, you might have to do some testing but I am thinking of a sequential order with the receptionist first and a long timer before going to the next person in line. but since call queues are single threaded, the next call that comes in if the receptionist is on the phone will go to the next in line.

Do you want calls to wait for the receptionist all the time unless that person is on DND?

Only when on DND will it flow to the other people?

Please confirm

Chuck

answered on Oct 11, 2017 at 1:37pm  
Thanks Chuck,
Just looking for some advice on how to set it up - If I created a Queue to include the receptionist and backup(s), how would I set it so that it only rang their phones if she turned on her DND? I don't want her to have to log in to RC and change settings each time she has to go to the bathroom :-)

answered on Jul 6, 2016 at 10:25am  
Hello, I am a Professional Services Advisor and I can help show you a couple of ways to do what this. 

The most efficient would be to create a call queue group and name it 'Main Line'. Add yourself to the group and route all calls coming in from the main line to the group. So when you need DND, you go to select the 'Do not take calls', you will have a 3rd option to not take Call Queue calls. Selecting that will allow you to take calls for your direct line while main line calls will roll to voicemail in the group.

Can you give me more details of exactly how you want the main line calls to be handled as there is some tweaking available.

Phil

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us