News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Users
Phone rings but you can't hear the caller
Tags: phone
Jul 16, 2019 at 10:00am   •   6 replies  •  0 likes
christine-salmon

We have been having a problem the last few weeks. The phone rings. You can see who the caller is but when you answer the call it's dead air. The call is logged. What could be causing this?

6 Answers
answered on May 4, 2020 at 5:27pm  
Is this still an issue with anyone? We receive these calls all day long where nobody is on the other line. We will sometimes wait several minutes to see if the call is being transferred to a call center or something, just to see if it's even a telemarketing call. However nobody ever comes to the line. We've even called several numbers back to find they are not legit numbers.

A while ago we had settings that were not correct and when we couldn't hear anyone on the other line, we would hang up and they would immediately call back. None of these callers call us back so we think it's not a setting. 

They all have caller ID, most of the times it's a city/state with a phone number but oftentimes there is a name and a number. 

I know of the tactic to determine if a number is legit in order to then give the number to telemarketers, but we don't end up getting many telemarketers, so it doesn't make sense.

We are going to try adding a layer where the caller has to press 1 to reach someone. Currently, the calls ring the whole office simultaneously without any layers in between. 

answered on Jul 16, 2019 at 12:24pm  
IT here. Is this guide still accurate for configuring rules on a Meraki MX64?
https://netstorage.ringcentral.com/guides/meraki_mx64.pdf

answered on Jul 16, 2019 at 10:13am  
Can the caller hear you? If so, youre describing one-way audio. The most common reason for this occurrence is having SIP ALG activated/turned on in your router configuration. SIP ALG is also known as SIP Forwarding. SIP ALG can change/modify and mess with voice (read VoIP) packets. It should be turned off or deactivated. As stated, this is only one reason (although usually the main one). If yours is turned off and you are still experiencing this issue I recommend starting a ticket with RingCentral support.

answered on Jul 16, 2019 at 10:14am  
Not sure if they can hear me or not.  I'll have IT check.

answered on Jul 16, 2019 at 10:08am  
Happens for many users on all of our desktop phones.  This started a couple weeks ago.  Not sure of our network set up but I can find out if you tell me what to ask.

answered on Jul 16, 2019 at 10:05am  
This is almost undoubtably a network issue of some sort.

Does it happen just for one user or many?  
Desktop phone on computer or hard phone or both?
Has it always happened or started recently?

Do you have any knowledge of your internal network setup?

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us