News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Users
I can't see myself (only black screen) even though video is toggled on.
Tags: video, meetings
Sep 3, 2019 at 3:46pm   •   15 replies  •  0 likes
jennifer-gustavson

I can only see a black screen. Video settings look fine and I know my webcam works. This has only recently become an issue for me.

15 Answers
answered on Apr 23, 2020 at 11:14am  
Hi all, OP here. I just wanted to share the solution that worked for me thanks to my IT guy at my company. I operate windows on a macbook pro. 

1. Shut down your Mac. Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds, then restart and if that doesn't work try:

2. Turn on the laptop and let it go to the login screen. At the log in screen,  press and hold down the power button. As soon as you see it shut down, keep holding the power button for another 30 seconds. Let go and power back up. I hope this helps!

answered on Apr 13, 2020 at 5:07am  
Hello Everyone,

I would highly suggest creating a case so our Phone Support will be contacted you at your most convenient time.

Thanks! 

answered on Apr 10, 2020 at 3:17pm  
Thank you but none of the above worked for me. HD Camera activates when I start video as the green light comes on, but it's just showing a black screen for my video on my laptop and on everyone else's screens. I can see everyone else's video just fine, including my own if I use my iPhone to connect. It's only my Macbook Pro running Windows 10 via Bootcamp that isn't working. Thanks to anyone who can shed light on this or at least confirm they have a similar set up and it's working.

answered on Apr 1, 2020 at 11:10am  
I feel really silly that I didn't catch this, but for all Mac users, make sure RingCentral is provided access to your laptop camera.

> System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Camera 

Ensure the checkbox corresponding to RingCentral is checked.

answered on Apr 1, 2020 at 9:47am  
Having the same problem here. 2019 Macbook Pro running Windows 10 Bootcamp.

answered on Mar 30, 2020 at 1:46pm  
Hello!

Please coordinate this with our Technical Support so that they can check and isolate the issue as more of you are having the same problem. 

answered on Mar 30, 2020 at 11:03am  
Also getting the same problem on an iMac. 

answered on Mar 29, 2020 at 9:32pm  
Hello, I am having the same exact issue. I have uninstalled and re-installed the RingCentral app 3 different times. My webcam works perfectly with other apps. I have a 2019 MacBook Pro with Catalina. Thoughts?

answered on Mar 26, 2020 at 10:03pm  
I just wanted to see if you ever found a solution to this? I have a more recent Macbook, and I am experiencing the same issue. It says I'm showing my camera, but the light doesn't come on and my video in the meeting is just blank.

Mark's suggestion above isn't available in my video settings for some reason.

answered on Sep 6, 2019 at 12:22pm  
Open the Meetings app, go to Settings>Video and click on the troubleshooting link on the bottom. Follow those steps. If it still doesn't work, I would plug in a separate webcam and see if it works. If it does, try seeing if there are drivers available for your laptop model and install them.

answered on Sep 6, 2019 at 8:07am  
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I can't see myself (only black screen) even though video is toggled on.. I can only see a black screen. Video settings look fine and I know my webcam works. This has only recently become an issue for me. 

answered on Sep 6, 2019 at 6:31am  
If you're saying that the camera app works fine, but Meetings does not, try reinstalling Meetings.

answered on Sep 6, 2019 at 7:51am  
Thank you Mark. I actually tried that too and didn't work. 

answered on Sep 3, 2019 at 4:44pm  
Thank you for your reply and no offense taken; I understand troubleshooting. No, camera works and my little green light (built in camera) is on, but black screen. I can confirm this too because my camera app, the video/lens works perfectly. 

Also, the video function in Ring Central was working fine about a week ago and suddenly isn't. 

answered on Sep 4, 2019 at 5:09am  
This might sound rudimentary and certainly is not meant as a put down, but I have seen this before. Kind of like a person not being able to see the forest through the trees. My question to you is, do you have a lens cover on your webcam? Many come with it nowadays or are added on later. I once had a client who had theirs on and really hadn't thought about that as the culprit to why they had a black screen. Again, just a suggestion...nothing more.

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us