News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Users
Users adding themselves to Glip
Tags: ringcentral app
Sep 20, 2019 at 9:30am   •   3 replies  •  0 likes
keith-lazarus

I had an interesting experience the other day with a user that was new to our organization came into my office, saying that I should check the security settings of our Glip site because he was able to create his own account and "Get in".

This caused me a bit of panic until I discovered the following:

• Because his e-mail was associated with the same domain as mine, when he created his ID, Glip recognized that we already had a Glip instance configured and it added him to it. To its credit, Glip confirms the user's "legitimacy" by making them click on a link in an e-mail that gets sent to their supplied address before activating the account.
  • While he was able to get in, he was able to get into the "Organization-wide" team, but none of the individual teams that we had configured.
  • He was able to see/IM others in the organization.

I suppose it could be argued that this is a great feature that simplifies administration/rollout of the product but I don't really believe that - I can think of many scenarios where organizations might want to restrict who is allowed to use the app.

Has anybody else stumbled across this "feature"? What are your thoughts?

I'd be particularly interested in hearing RingCentral's position on this.

3 Answers
answered on Sep 23, 2019 at 5:56am  
I don't quite understand the situation here. Did he or did he not have a RC account? If he did, then it's understandable why he was able to log into Glip. Are you trying to restrict RC users from accessing Glip unless you let them?

answered on Sep 20, 2019 at 10:33am  
I should have mentioned in my original post that, worst of all, as an administrator, I don't get any notification that the user has added themselves so that I can either address the issue, or add the users to to the appropriate teams.

answered on Sep 20, 2019 at 9:46am  

USA-based acct | 2287 Users | 3800 DID lines | 28 sites | all Polycom VVX500 phone handsets

2019-09-20   This was one of the reasons we banned use of Glip in our organization, due to lack of Enterprise level security controls on who can add themselves, who can create teams, who can message to all users without any moderation whatsoever.

Join our unofficial RingCentral Admins User Group
http://ringcentraladminusersgroup.org/index.html

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us