question

matthew-nelson avatar image
matthew-nelson asked Alexander Kostadinov answered

Why does RC Phone and Ringcentral require permission to allow rc phone to make and manage phone calls?

Why does RC Phone and Ringcentral require permission to allow rc phone to make and manage phone calls?

I got RC so that I could use it separately from my personal phone, as a VOIP solution, why does it need access to my Android dialer?

ringcentral app
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

cglassy3135 avatar image
cglassy3135 answered

USA-based acct | 2287 Users | 3800 DID lines | 28 sites | all Polycom VVX500 phone handsets

2019-09-24 In order for the software to communicate with the hardware that is how is works with your phone (device) Android operating system.   It has to be able to "talk" to the hardware and that is how it does it.

It is a VOIP solution that provides you with the ability to use the software to appear to the caller that you are calling from your desk phone number - hiding your own cell phone number --- or receiving calls at your desk phone instead of revealing you are accepting the call on the cell phone.

Join our unofficial RingCentral Admins User Group
http://ringcentraladminusersgroup.org/index.html

1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

matthew-nelson avatar image
matthew-nelson answered
I'm sorry I don't understand this.  If it is a voip call then it should not need my phone to make or receive any calls,  I do not want to use my cell phone carrier for any portion of the call. 
1 |3000

cglassy3135 avatar image
cglassy3135 answered
If you had actually looked in the APP settings it gives you a choice to not use your cellular carrier.   The software is requesting permission to use the device chipset.

It is possible that you would benefit from reading up on how any VOIP apps work using Android devices. 

It is an Android function you are misunderstanding, not a RingCentral software function.
1 |3000

Alexander Kostadinov avatar image
Alexander Kostadinov answered
Cecile Glassy, and that was exactly the question that you don't answer but direct user to look at other sources. If you don't know the answer, then do not answer instead of answering gibberish or hostile to the op.
1 |3000

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app