News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Users
Call forwarding doesn't work as expected
Tags: call forwarding
May 26, 2020 at 6:31am   •   2 replies  •  0 likes
eddie-fesperman

Our company has a lot of people who are now splitting their time working in the office and remotely. In my mind, one of the basic reasons for a system like RingCentral is that users can receive their calls on any device, no matter where they are. Last week, I found out that call forwarding does not work as expected.

Consider the following scenario. Jane works in the office sometimes and other times she works from home. Susan is going to be out of the office and Jane is her backup. Jane happens to be working from home that day and Susan configures her account to forward her calls to Jane.

The expected behavior would be that Jane would be able to receive those calls regardless of which device she is using (desk phone or Mobile app). However, it does not work. The forwarded calls ONLY ring to Jane's desk. There is no way to forward another user's calls to another user's mobile app.

I spent some time on the phone with Ring Central support trying to configure this and they started trying to walk me through a convoluted process of setting up a call queue. All for a temporary forwarding scenario that was to be in place for a single day.

The other option they proposed was to temporarily assign Susan's number to Jane. That also seemed like a lot of work for a temporary forward.

Call forwarding should forward to any device, based on the call recipients call handling configuration. Full stop. In other words, if User A forwards to User B, User B should receive those calls no matter what device they are using.

I'm completely baffled as to why it doesn't work this way.

2 Answers
answered on May 26, 2020 at 7:03am  
This seems a lot more straightforward than the "call queue" solution proposed by the support rep that I spoke with.  It looks like what I could do is set up the custom rule to do an unconditional forward to the desired number.  I'll test this out and see if it behaves as expected.

Thanks for the help!

answered on May 26, 2020 at 6:52am  
You are right - the forward will not go to a user's mobile app like it will a desktop app or phone - this is a pain. The simplest way to go about this that I know of is to make a Custom Rule. It isn't too hard and let's you define the time frame for the forward, if you wish, so if you know how long you need it for, you can automate it. The rule will be saved in case you need to reuse another time.

You'll probably need a little help the first time to understand the particulars, unless you aren't concerned about an unanswered call by the person you are forwarding too. This would probably require a few extra steps for the voice mail and user identification announcements. Otherwise, it is just about 3 steps to set up. My screenshot should help you to determine where to find the Custom Rule section from the user you wish to forward to someone else. It also has a link for more information/instruction concerning custom rules.

Incidentally, Custom Rules intercept and take priority over everything else you have set up - according to the targeted change/user, etc., so make sure you don't forget about or automate, or you may wonder why something that used to work doesn't anymore.

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us