question

Maria Pratticó avatar image
Maria Pratticó asked Anirban answered

Sorry, you can only make calls to other extensions. To make external calls contact your admin.

I get this message when trying to place a call from my laptop.

It allows me to receive, or switch calls from the phone to the laptop, but not to make a call.

Same account different device: I can easily make calls from my app on my phone.

How can I solve this?

phone
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Wendy Busse-Coleman avatar image
Wendy Busse-Coleman answered Matthew Brokamp commented

Good afternoon Maria,

It may have something to do with AUTHORIZE COMPUTER. Generally, if you cannot make outbound calls, it is because you have another computer/laptop registered (Softphone) with RingCentral. You can only have 1 authorized at a time for your extension/number. When I have to work remotely and do not have my work-provided laptop, I must un-authorize the work laptop to be able to make calls from my personal laptop which also has the app.

Here is the link to the Knowledge Base Article regarding this issue.

https://support.ringcentral.com/article/4219.html

Wendy

5 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Maria Pratticó avatar image Maria Pratticó commented ·

I didn't know that, thanks! However the phone with the app died today, is there any way I can authorize and start calling from my work laptop?

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthew Brokamp avatar image Matthew Brokamp commented ·

THAT'S RIDICULOUS! Agents should be able to place calls on their mobile phones through the app as well as through their computers! Why ole why do this to us RingCentral? AirCall is looking a lot more better these days!

0 Likes 0 ·
mary-community-moderator avatar image mary-community-moderator ♦♦ Matthew Brokamp commented ·

Hi @Matthew Brokamp, are you experiencing this issue? Please email us at community.support@ringcentral.com so we can check on this.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthew Brokamp avatar image Matthew Brokamp mary-community-moderator ♦♦ commented ·

Thank you Mary for pointing me in the right direction. :)

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
mary-community-moderator avatar image
mary-community-moderator answered

Please check in the web portal if your extension has a Digital Line assigned to it. It is the type of phone number that will let you make outgoing calls to external numbers. Otherwise, if it is only a Direct Number, you can only receive calls. You can access the KB Article below on how to check if you have a Digital Line.

https://support.ringcentral.com/article/How-to-Distinguish-Direct-Virtual-Number-From-DigitalLine.html

You need to contact your Super Admin to convert your Direct Line to a Digital Line. It will cost an additional charge since its price is higher than a Direct Number. The Super Admin may follow the steps on the KB Article below on how to convert.

https://support.ringcentral.com/article/Convert-a-Direct-Number-to-a-DigitalLine-in-the-RingCentral-Online-Account.html

1 |3000

Anirban avatar image
Anirban answered

Yes, its digital line that allows you to make an external call to any number. You can add a Direct Number to any of user's extension which you want to allow to make an outbound call. Without this digital line you can only able to receive the incoming calls.

To add this you need to log into your online account and select & assign this to an extension which you want to make an external call.

1 |3000

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app