News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Users
3 and 4 digit extensions existing fine in the same system?
Tags: hardware, extension
May 17, 2021 at 11:09am   •   1 replies  •  0 likes
Rob Shelby

I'm really new to RC, sorry for the noob question.

My RC setup has both 3 digit and 4 digit extensions.

All my users currently just use the RC app. So "dialing" an extension is literally just choosing the person's account they are trying to contact.

I haven't used a physical desk phone on RingCentral. Let's say one user has extension 400 and another has extension 4000. If a person is trying to dial ext 4000 how does the phone/RC know they aren't trying 400? Do they need to dial # or something after?

Thank you!

1 Answer
answered on May 18, 2021 at 6:45am  

I chatted with tech support and they said it should "just work". The system waits for a period of time with no key presses. So typing 4000 fast enough will result in ext 4000, not accidentally ext 400.

I'm still looking for someone else to verify this is their experience.

on May 21, 2021 at 2:07pm   •  0 likes

We've moved from 3-digit to 4- for the whole company, but then with staff leaving and us wanting to preserve the RC chats, we've started adding a 9 to the front of the extension, so 1601 becomes 91601 - and still works just fine.

I will say not to use single digit extensions, as any IVR may/may not (phase of the moon?) send a caller to that extension - rather than the next level (or group) on the IVR! (that was an interesting bug/feature)

on May 23, 2021 at 2:17pm   •  0 likes

Why did you move all extensions to 4 instead of leaving some 3? Were you experiencing any issues having 3 and 4 digit extensions at the same time?

on May 24, 2021 at 9:08am   •  1 likes

The company was/is growing, and I made the decision to use a 'site code' as the first digit - that way each site had 1,000 extensions across departments. Also gives us enough breathing room on extension numbers and allows us to recycle an extension after six +/- months once staff leaves.

No issue with 2, 3, or 4-digit extensions - just stay away from those single digits! ;)

The phones have programmed a 'DTMF delay' where they will wait 'X' amount of time before sending the number to be dialed. X can be defined on the phone side via the phones GUI. (if you have Polycom or Yealink phones - I can send you some screen caps.)

on May 24, 2021 at 10:42am   •  0 likes

Thank you!

on May 18, 2021 at 8:54am   •  2 likes

Based on personal experience, it works perfectly.

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us