News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Users
How can I re-assign an extension?
Tags: extension
Aug 26, 2021 at 7:25am   •   2 replies  •  0 likes
Matt Worsley 'm-h'

When I delete the extension, it doesn't go back into the 'unassigned' extensions pool, it just removes the extension entirely, and I have to re-purchase a new one. This is in the sandbox environment, if that makes a difference. I want to be able to unassign an extension when a user leaves the company, and have that extension ready for new starters in the 'unassigned extensions' pool.

on Aug 26, 2021 at 2:02pm   •  0 likes

Hi @Matt Worsley 'm-h', the unassigned tab is only for the numbers purchased that are not assigned yet to an extension. Workaround to re-use an extension is to edit the details under the "User Details" tab. There is also an option on it to re-send a welcome email.

on Aug 27, 2021 at 1:02am   •  0 likes

Thanks Mary. That workaround wouldn't be ideal as it would attribute the past employee's data with the new one. Surely this isn't a unique requirement, how do other users deal with employees leaving and joining?

on Sep 3, 2021 at 10:09am   •  0 likes

We've had this issue, and so far they (RC) do not have a valid response. We have staff that leave, and there's no way to keep that data and just move the license to the new staff member.

We discovered this only after updating the extension with the new staff name and info, and then found that if we delete the extension - EVERYTHING gets deleted... *poof*

They so far have not been able to understand that for certain businesses, we must keep data for 3,7, or 10 years - depending on the various law.

They need an 'Archive' button that will take everything (calls, teams, messages, texts, faxes) and bundle it up in a READABLE format. Have you tried to parse their current archive download - good luck with that!!!

Sorely disappointed with their archive functions.
Let's hope they throw a few more staff on this issue.

on Aug 27, 2021 at 7:58am   •  0 likes

You're right, Matt. If you need to have an extension with no history, you will need to create a new one. If it's the extension number you're worried about., you can change it to the previously deleted one.

on Aug 27, 2021 at 8:05am   •  0 likes

Hi Mary - my concern really is just being able to deal with new starters and leavers via the API. It seems in order to assign a new user to an extension, I need to cycle through the extensions to find an unassigned one. But if extensions aren't put back into 'unassigned' when employees leave, there won't be any unassigned ones to give to new starters.

on Aug 26, 2021 at 10:49am   •  0 likes

I don't think that deleting an extension will set it 'unassigned' nor we have a feature to deassign an assigned extension. I don't know the exact reason behind that but my guess is that it could be the user data. Let me move this to the Customers community so someone can explain better.

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us