News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Users
Outbound emails via email-to-fax are not being processed
Tags: fax
Apr 18, 2022 at 10:26am   •   13 replies  •  1 likes
Travis Conway

I have a ticket open already but wondering if this is isolated to our organization. Emails going out via @rcfax.com appear to not be processed by RingCentral. Looking through the logs on our email servers I show the emails being received by RingCentral's SMTP server and getting back a 250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as XXXXXXXX. Faxes sent via the app is working but is not an acceptable solution for us as all faxes must be archived.

on Apr 21, 2022 at 2:33pm   •  1 likes

So after about 60+ hrs of setting up DMARC, our account was finally re-enabled to allow Email2Fax functionality. Many of our users have access to update their email addresses that are allowed to send faxes via email. What will happen when one of them enters an email address that is not setup with DMARC? For example, they could enter their own personal ISP-provided email address that could easily not have DMARC setup. Will this trigger our entire account and stop all users from being able to send email2fax again?? I need to know what is triggering this and how to manage it.

on Apr 21, 2022 at 3:02pm   •  0 likes

We had the same issue and from our investigating, testing, calling, etc. - this is what I believe has occurred (would be nice if RC would publish something?!):

On Apr.15th, it looks like RC network security was changed and it was rolled out over several days to make SPF, DKIM, and DMARC email policies MANDATORY for all email addresses being used for Email2Fax. Their published article from May.21.2021 ( link ) explains this as a recommended best practice for improved email reliability, BUT I never saw anything published since that indicated they were making this mandatory on any scheduled date - maybe I missed it.

As part of activating this security policy, any accounts (not just extensions, but entire accounts) had their Email2Fax settings on all user extensions disabled and disappeared. This was a planned network change, not an outage issue - thus it is not showing on the system status portal.

RESOLVE: To re enable the functionality, you have to setup SPF, DKIM and DMARC for your email domain of the email addresses setup to send faxes from. Then you have to open a case to get it re enabled. It took us 5.5 days to get ours re enabled. When it was re enabled, we were not notified and our open case was not updated or closed - we just found out by testing several times every day until it started working again (and the ext settings reappeared)

OUTSTANDING: Since some users and admins may set "allowed email addresses" as ones that they cannot setup SPF, DKIM, and DMARC (eg. ISP-provided free email accounts, etc.) there could be problems with re enabling the functionality or the functionality be disabled again in the future? I have submitted a case requesting what is going to trigger this problem again in the future so that we can manage it better, but have not received any response yet.

on Apr 20, 2022 at 9:24am   •  0 likes

Having the exact same issue with missing section in user acount settings (email addresses to fax) and not being able to send email to fax. Ticket No. 15094547. Spent almost an hour on the phone yesterday with support who rendered no assistance whatsoever. I've learned more in this thread than I did with the hour conversation. Ticket was being escalated but I have not received a call back.

on Apr 20, 2022 at 9:40am   •  0 likes

Hi @zkv1, please make sure your email domain complies with the policies so that the Support Team can turn back your Email-to Fax feature. For your guide, check the KB article below. I will also follow up with your ticket.

https://support.ringcentral.com/au/en/article/Best-Practices-to-Prevent-RingCentral-Email-to-Fax-Service-from-Blocking-Faxes.html

on Apr 20, 2022 at 9:49am   •  0 likes

our email is hosted through microsoft cloud. Its my understanding there isnt anything for us to do on our end.

on Apr 20, 2022 at 9:54am   •  0 likes

I see. The Support Team will verify it for you. I already made a follow up.

on Apr 19, 2022 at 10:03am   •  1 likes

Support sent me back the link Mary posted. I don't remember ever receiving a notification this was coming so this is a big issue for us.

Setting up SFP, DKIM and DMARC is going to be required for email to fax to begin again. Support is stating we will need to have our domains validated before they allow faxing.

on Apr 20, 2022 at 7:40am   •  0 likes

I received a response from RC tech support that specified that they would re-enable email-to-fax functionality on my account AFTER I enabled DMARC on my email domain. BUT, RingCentral is making a HUGE ASSUMPTION that all of my users are sending faxes via email using the a single company domain - which they are not. Some use their gmail address, others use one of our companies 5 different email domains, etc. I have requested that the admin portal be re-enabled so that as an admin, I can confirm what email domains our users were using for email-to-fax, then I can confirm which of them have or don't have dmarc setup. We have setup DMARC (and the required spf and dkim) for our main company domain and am now waiting to see if they will re-enable the feature or not??

on Apr 20, 2022 at 8:13am   •  0 likes

Have you tried reaching out to your account manager?

on Apr 19, 2022 at 9:00pm   •  1 likes

We are having the same issue and our RC support tech (we had to contact via phone because the new-case portal is broken) is indicating/confirming that they are having a system wide issue with email-to-fax functionality.

Even if the the SFP,DKIM,DMARC were required, the list of allowed email addresses function under the "Outbound Calls/Faxes > Fax Settings" should not have disappeared.

I'll post any updates we get via our support - this is urgent for us, 80% of our users do not login to any RC account, they only use email-to-fax and currently have not been able to send any outgoing faxes for 2 - 3 days!!

on Apr 20, 2022 at 5:31am   •  0 likes

I had tickets open and now my service is working again and I can see all users with ability to send faxes via email.

on Apr 20, 2022 at 9:00am   •  0 likes

Did you have to provide any information for RC to validate your domain? How was your issue resolved?

on Apr 20, 2022 at 9:02am   •  0 likes

We asked support to revalidate the domain. It took a couple of hours but your mileage may vary depending on who is working the ticket.

on Apr 19, 2022 at 2:01pm   •  1 likes

After implementing DKIM with our email security provider and updating DNS we have had email to fax enabled on our account again. Support and Account Managers have no idea of what is actually going on and the process to get this resolved takes a very long time. There is a massive lack of communication going on here within RingCentral and to the customers.

on Apr 19, 2022 at 3:43pm   •  0 likes

Why they couldn't just safe list a clients domain is beyond me... that's what the other 3 providers have done - and no issues. (although we already had the spf, dkim, dmarc set)

What I have had trouble with is when faxing via email fails and they say to use the RC web app - and then Support tells you that doesn't work unless you go into every users settings and put their email in the 'approved fax sender' field.

What part of 'I'm the fax sender' do we have to tell the system that already knows our email address?!?

on Apr 19, 2022 at 10:08am   •  0 likes

Yeah, that's what they told me, too. I can't find any notification about the change, and even the link they sent says "best practices", not "required or we're removing the feature from your account". And every recommendation for DMARC says to run it for a while on p=none to monitor before setting it to quarantine or block to make sure there aren't issues, so with no warning we either have to jump in and hope it works, or go another week or two without faxing while testing DMARC.

on Apr 19, 2022 at 10:09am   •  0 likes

I agree. I asked for an extension so we can set up a maintenance period since deploying DKIM is not something that is "push and button and it works".

on Apr 19, 2022 at 9:07am   •  0 likes

Same issue. This has been going on for 24 hours why has this not been posted to the service status page?

on Apr 19, 2022 at 9:33am   •  0 likes

I have not been able to send a fax since Friday

on Apr 19, 2022 at 10:59am   •  0 likes

I am having the same issue and was never notified. I was able to use all services daily for 7 years and it stopped last week. My case #s 15086731 and15090245

on Apr 18, 2022 at 1:18pm   •  0 likes

Ring Central support has confirmed there is an outage and this is being escalated up.

on Apr 19, 2022 at 7:59am   •  0 likes

Have you heard any more on this? I was just told that it's because our email domain is not DMARC compliant, no mention of an outage.

on Apr 18, 2022 at 3:08pm   •  0 likes

Hi Travis, have you heard anything back from RingCentral? Any idea when the feature will be restored?

on Apr 19, 2022 at 7:42am   •  0 likes

I have not and am unable to get any response from our account manager or their supervisor.

on Apr 18, 2022 at 1:59pm   •  0 likes

Thanks for the information, Travis. This is not yet up in the status portal. We'll wait for more updates.

on Apr 18, 2022 at 10:31am   •  1 likes

This is also happening to mine as well, from what I am seeing. If you go in the portal for RC you'll see the options to add or remove users to send faxes no longer are there. I have also submitted a request myself and have not heard back from them. rc-issue.png

on Apr 21, 2022 at 1:49pm   •  0 likes

Following the outage, are you able to pull any call logs, (fax), prior to the outage? Ours appears to be gone...

on Apr 18, 2022 at 10:35am   •  1 likes

I see those options are missing from ours as well. Our users are sending from their primary accounts which is the email address on the user account itself. Everything appears to have been working last week but nothing today. We have a backlog of a few hundred faxes at this point and I am really hoping I don't have to ask 400 users to resubmit faxes.

on Apr 18, 2022 at 10:42am   •  0 likes

The same thing is happening to us as well... All of my users have disappeared, and we are not able to send faxes via @rcfax.com. I cannot get a real person on the phone to assist, just told to go to the website... We have been a customer since 2015- THIS IS VERY FRUSTRATING!!!

3 Answers
answered on Apr 20, 2022 at 9:10am  

Hi everyone! The Community Team is working with Support, and we gathered your accounts. We can see your cases, and we will follow up to make sure they're working on them. Keep coming in the comment section, and please make sure that before reaching out to Support, you have already checked if your email domain complied with SPF, DKIM, and DMARC. Check more info about it HERE.

on Apr 21, 2022 at 10:40am   •  1 likes

Case 15107621 - can you please enable this for us? We have DMARC enabled and yet support is just repeating itself and closing our cases. This needs to be fixed ASAP

on Apr 21, 2022 at 10:54am   •  0 likes

Hi! @CCAS of Hamilton General Line, i see that your case is open and it has been escalated. I'll follow up with it and monitor within the day.

on Apr 25, 2022 at 8:42am   •  0 likes

Same issue here. One client was already cleared. I have another that has gone 4 days no response on ticket. I already implemented all the security features.

Case Number: 15112597

on Apr 25, 2022 at 9:03am   •  0 likes

Hi Frank, I'll update your case.

on Apr 22, 2022 at 7:50am   •  0 likes

It looks like they closed our ticket again, but the issue is still not resolved. We are still unable to fax or assign users

on Apr 22, 2022 at 8:06am   •  0 likes

We ended up having to phone RC tech support to get them to confirm our case was escalated before it got resolved.

on Apr 22, 2022 at 10:24am   •  0 likes

Yes I just confirmed it for a second time. I'm not sure I understand why if the ticket is "WIP" it no longer shows up on the support page.

I imagine they don't see this as a priority since you can use the app, but we *only* use Email to fax. Essentially we can't fax at all until is resolved.

answered on Apr 19, 2022 at 10:57am  

Hi @Tydings Rosenberg,
This is not due to a service outage but rather an issue with the affected accounts that must be remedied by the account owners.

Please see https://support.ringcentral.com/au/en/article/Best-Practices-to-Prevent-RingCentral-Email-to-Fax-Service-from-Blocking-Faxes.html for information on how to setup the appropriate email policies to ensure your email is secure (otherwise a malicious actor could impersonate your email to spam or defraud others).

Once you have set up the appropriate policies, support can assist in turning this feature back on for your account.

Hope this helps,
Mike

on Apr 22, 2022 at 7:20am   •  1 likes

Complete and utter terrible customer service. Sending a link with over 100 pages of directions to companies that have been using this service without issue for years and providing ZERO customer service support for your new standards that hit without warning is absolutely terrible.

Great. So now I have to become an IT professional to understand this mess instead of my job in Pediatric Therapy. Perfect! Great job supporting your customers Ring Central!

on Apr 20, 2022 at 10:03am   •  0 likes

This is a service status issue. Ring Central (if verified) made a change with out warning their customers that broke email to faxing. DKIM,DMARC, and SPF is not a RFC , not mandatory, and is considered only best practice at this point. (Take a look at the article tittle for a hint) This was a security implementation choice by ring central that caused a service outage for its customers. It is now prominently displayed on the service dashboard as it should have been from day 1.

https://status.ringcentral.com/

Also please confirm this statement that should hold true.: DMARC is not required by RingCentral for email to fax. Since this is a inbound filtering technology deployed for only inbound email at my site it has nothing to do with any outbound checks or settings for RC email to fax.

Basically saying that we need DMARC on is telling us we need a spam filter. I am assuming what you guys want are DKIM to be on. And maybee SPF. (But people will run into the 10 DNS lookups when sending email through large providers)

on Apr 19, 2022 at 11:09am   •  0 likes

This doesnt help. I need my account back up and running asap. My ticket is 15090245

answered on Apr 18, 2022 at 10:45am  

Hi! Please refer to the same issue posted here below https://community.ringcentral.com/questions/107119/fax-only-account-cant-send-faxes-or-add-email-addr.html.

We understand your frustration with this. If you have already created a web case, our Tech Support will attend to it within 24 hours.

on Apr 18, 2022 at 11:07am   •  1 likes

Hi Mary. I have reached out to our account manager for escalation. Waiting 24 hours for this is not really acceptable.

on Apr 18, 2022 at 12:25pm   •  0 likes

Thanks, Travis! I'll keep an eye on it, too.

on Apr 19, 2022 at 9:02am   •  0 likes

I have already been waiting more than 24hours and still do not have a resolution.

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us