News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Users
Ring Desk Phone Before Desktop/Mobile App
Tags: call handling, call handling, hardware
Aug 17, 2020 at 12:32pm   •   16 replies  •  12 likes
Trevor Kurtz

I was wondering if we could configure the RC desk phone to ring before the desktop and mobile apps? It would also be nice to separate the desktop and mobile apps to configure them on their own as well.

on Jul 26, 2022 at 12:54pm   •  0 likes

This is still an issue. I just wasted 20 minutes (and absolutely not the first time, every week I get this call) trying to get audio notifications to work for one of our staff. It was working earlier today. Now suddenly, she gets absolutely no sounds. She is on the newest version. Every single day, at least a few of our staff have this same problem arise.

I tried turning off the notification sounds in the Settings -> Notifications, closing the desktop app (using File->Quit), re-opening the app, re-enabling the sound in the settings, shrinking the app to the task bar, sending a test message. Didn't work.

I tried changing the sound of choice.

Tried disabling the sound on the Direct conversation, closing the app, re-opening, enabling it, closing the app, then re-opening it again, then sent a test message. Didn't work.

Even a system reboot did not fix this.

Everything is exactly as it should be. Other system sounds work. The basic sound slider dings when adjusted from the task bar. She has no other speakers, its just the built in ones.

So I came here hoping to find a solution, only to find this has been a problem for almost 2 years now, and still not resolved.

on Jul 26, 2022 at 1:05pm   •  0 likes

Hi @Paul Dobbs, may I know what is the exact problem are you referring to? Is it related to this feature?

on Jul 27, 2022 at 6:10am   •  0 likes

WOw.. something very wrong with your forum. This was not posted to this thread. This was posted to the thread about Desktop App sound notifications.

on Jul 27, 2022 at 8:32am   •  0 likes

Which thread were you trying to add it to? We'd like to know so we can identify if there is an issue with the platform.

on May 4, 2022 at 10:21am   •  0 likes

I"m able to move Poly/Polycom phones into the #1 ring order position.

on Sep 23, 2020 at 9:13am   •  4 likes

Hello,

This has been brought up with the Product team who confirmed that this ask is known, and is planned. At the moment, there is no ETA for when it will be implemented.

on Feb 9, 2022 at 3:18pm   •  0 likes

Please continue to vote for this NEEDED item here:

https://ideas.ringcentral.com/ideas/ENTCOM-I-231

on Sep 14, 2021 at 3:42pm   •  4 likes

LETS GET ON IT. YEAR IS WAY TO LONG ESPECIALLY FOR A MAJOR FLAW

on Sep 8, 2021 at 11:44am   •  2 likes

It's been nearly a year. This is a major flaw. Any progress yet?!

on Sep 13, 2021 at 6:55am   •  4 likes

Ridiculous that it's been a year and this basic functionality is not implemented yet.

on May 4, 2022 at 10:03am   •  1 likes

And suddenly, it appears that this feature has been implemented?

All I can say is, as of right now, I can move our Yealink hard phones to position #1 in the ring order...

Yay!!!

on May 4, 2022 at 10:17am   •  0 likes

Great news, @J Cross!

on Feb 8, 2022 at 11:04am   •  0 likes

Please continue to vote for this NEEDED item here:

on May 4, 2022 at 10:04am   •  0 likes

And suddenly, it appears that this feature has been implemented?

All I can say is, as of right now, I can move our Yealink hard phones to position #1 in the ring order...

Yay!!!

on Feb 9, 2022 at 3:16pm   •  0 likes

Thanks so much for reminding people about the portal, @J Cross!

on Feb 8, 2022 at 11:02am   •  1 likes

I agree, this should be a priority, after paying a lot for our phones, we don't use them to answer calls!

on Feb 7, 2022 at 4:45pm   •  0 likes

Why does the Help page on this https://support.ringcentral.com/article/9758.html say that you can change the order of the Desktop & Mobile app?

Under step 3, it says "By default, the desktop and mobile apps option is enabled and is set to ring first before your other forwarding numbers. You can toggle the slider to disable it, or drag and drop Desktop & Mobile apps to change the order." But you can't drag it. While I would rather have the feature, at least make the documentation correct so we don't spend a lot of time trying to do what RC says can be done.

on Feb 8, 2022 at 6:33am   •  0 likes

@mitch-turner Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We will coordinate with the KB Team to correct the error of this article.

on Feb 8, 2022 at 9:27am   •  1 likes

How about while you're at it, we actually get this egregious error fixed? ;-) Would be REALLY nice to have the hard line phones ring first. Ours might actually get used!

on Feb 8, 2022 at 6:43am   •  1 likes

Thanks... I know we (users) would all prefer correcting the software rather than the article!

on Feb 8, 2022 at 8:49am   •  0 likes

Agreed... I am at a loss to WHY this isn't an option or feature yet! Focus on actual general process instead of features that are not as useful.

on Dec 6, 2021 at 11:26am   •  1 likes

This has been an issue for us since day one of our singing up with RC. This is not something special, other providers have this as standard. We are 16 months later and still your customers cannot have this function? As a programmer, I don't see this being some big chunk of coding that would need to be changed - it would be code to make it possible to switch the order like we can already do with any of the other added Forward numbers in the listing. Is there any update on a time line for this?

on Dec 7, 2021 at 5:21pm   •  0 likes

This absolutely needs to be a feature!!! It makes ZERO sense that this isn't an option. Please vote for the idea here:

on Sep 14, 2021 at 8:30am   •  2 likes

Why is it taking a year to advise this is still not a standard feature? I know when we had reasonable requests the developers were able to implement the changes with the next update. Seems this is not an important request for RC. I am 100% positive it is a major concern for all your customers.

on Sep 15, 2021 at 5:45am   •  0 likes

Hi @JJ Millis, I will follow up with the Product Team if there's already a roadmap for this feature.

on Feb 17, 2021 at 11:24am   •  2 likes

I would like this as well... It used to allow you to choose which you wanted to ring. This feature needs to be escalated as this is a major flaw.

on Aug 6, 2021 at 6:58am   •  0 likes

Any further updates on when this might be implemented?

on Aug 6, 2021 at 7:07am   •  0 likes

Hi @Andrew, there's still no update on this.

on Dec 18, 2021 at 6:25pm   •  0 likes

Lack of this feature is disappointing, I want to use my Yealink T48S for managing calls, my computer is for my main work. Please develop this feature!

on Dec 20, 2021 at 7:22am   •  0 likes

Please add your vote in the mentioned Feature Request link above. We'll continue it with the Product Team.

on Dec 23, 2020 at 8:39am   •  2 likes

I too would LOVE this functionallity in RingCentral. Also coming from 'another' voip provider, many of my users/executives would like to be able to have calls ring their desk phone BEFORE their desktop/mobile apps.

on Jan 11, 2021 at 12:41pm   •  2 likes

We need this as well. Do you have an ETA yet?

on Jan 11, 2021 at 1:08pm   •  0 likes

Hi Patrick,

No update on this yet.

on Sep 15, 2020 at 3:09pm   •  2 likes

I 100% agree with this request! Coming from a former VOIP competitor a majority of my end-users want calls to ring their desk phone first before it rings out to their desktop app or mobile app. This is a standard functionality of most competitors.

on Sep 9, 2020 at 5:15am   •  1 likes

I definitely agree with Trevor here. I've been asked this by my clients asking to have their Desk phone ring before their mobile / desktop app, or even to be able to change the order and move it to later in the order.

This would be beneficial for not just this client, but other clients who have asked for this feature!

1 Answer
answered on May 4, 2022 at 12:23pm  

Hallelujah!! We are a RingCentral partner, and almost every customer we signed up complained about not being able to do this.

answered on May 4, 2022 at 11:18am  

Hey, all! This has been implemented. Here is the Knowledge Base article for this feature: https://support.ringcentral.com/mvp/phone/call-handling-forwarding/rearranging-ring-order-of-numbers-devices.html

on May 4, 2022 at 12:24pm   •  1 likes

Hallelujah!! We are a RingCentral partner, and almost every customer we signed up complained about not being able to do this.

on May 4, 2022 at 12:25pm   •  0 likes

Glad to share great news with all!

on May 4, 2022 at 12:28pm   •  1 likes

I love that this finally happened. Now some of these hard phones will finally stop collecting dust!

I'm also a little amused that I beat you guys to the punch on the news! ;-)

on May 4, 2022 at 12:29pm   •  0 likes

Thanks for keeping out a keen eye!

answered on May 18, 2021 at 12:20pm  

I would like this feature too. Ring Desk phone first and then Mobile app... or even to be able to choose both to ring at the same time like they used to.

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us