News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Users
DND to show person is away to other phones
Tags: presence
Apr 8, 2019 at 5:10am   •   4 replies  •  2 likes
chris-duquette

Why when pressing the DND on a RC system setup with all Cisco 508g's does it not show the other users that the person who set their DND as away?(No BLF light on or blinking).

on Nov 10, 2022 at 12:24pm   •  0 likes

Does anyone know of a VOIP that has DND BLF support? I signed up with Ring Central for specifically this reason after specifically asking if they have this feature only to find out that the sales person I spoke to had no idea what they were talking about - hopefully I get refunded if I cancel before the first 30 days...

on Feb 28, 2020 at 12:07pm   •  1 likes
So again Ring Central is not looking into solving this issue? I would just like my receptionist to know when my agents hit the do not disturb button she will be able to take messages directly instead of trying to transfer and then not be succesful. 
on Feb 28, 2020 at 1:33pm   •  -1 likes
As Jessica wrote 11 months ago, "I checked with Support and they advised that DND for physical phones resides on the phone itself only, it does not communicate with RC servers in any way so it doesn't show BLF to anyone. "

As far as I am aware (I've been doing this a long time), no other provider does this either for the very same reason that Jessica wrote. Each individual phone, not to mention softphone and mobile app DNDs, are entirely different between makes and models. Do Not Disturb is generally used if, let's say, you are in your office with a client and don't want to be disturbed by your phone ringing because you are with a client or on a video conference. your phone won't ring and whoever is calling can simply leave you a message.

I'm certain that no one can tell me that even if it were possible to have the system do what you are requesting that a receptionist still won't either transfer a call to you or call your line to leave you a message even if your phone says DND.

Which brings us to another point, how would you propose to have that show on a receptionist's phone when she might have a sidecar with 30+ additional lines on it? Do you turn the BLF red? But you're not on a call so that wouldn't be right. They might assume you are on a call and will be done within a few minutes when actually you are on a video meeting with DND activated and you will be busy for one-hour. What would you propose for the RingCentral engineers to do, even if it were possible?

I don't know anything about your business like how large it is, how many agents you have, etc., but just a suggestion...maybe have your agents call the receptionist before they go DND and tell her/him, "I'm putting my phone on DND because I will be in a meeting with a client for 30 minutes. Please take messages." While not highly technical, it has worked for scores of years in many companies. Of course, your mileage may vary.
on Aug 11, 2021 at 10:19am   •  0 likes

If the phone can be set up to show when someone is on their phone with a solid light, why can't the system show (with a blinking light) when the phone has been set to DND?

on Apr 10, 2019 at 10:55am   •  0 likes
So a Samsung from 10 years ago will display a fast blinking DND light but RingCentral circa 2019 can not?
on Apr 10, 2019 at 4:44pm   •  -1 likes
It's not for that purpose. Most likely you won't be leaving your own desk. Instead it's so that YOU don't get disturbed by numerous phone calls during a period in which you might be working on something that needs complete concentration. Another scenario is when you're are on an important call and you don't want you Call Waiting or any other lines ringing while on the call.

Remember...it's Do Not Disturb feature...not an I'm away from my desk feature. You can't be disturbed by your phone ringing if you are not in the office to hear it! If you are away from your desk you have the option of having the mobile app available to you and if you don't want to take calls when you are away from your desk, the voicemail will take over when no one is there to answer the call.
on Aug 11, 2021 at 10:16am   •  0 likes

As the designated receptionist. It would be nice to know when one of our agents has set their phone to DND, for whatever purpose they have it set. This way we can either take a message or advise the caller that they will get their voicemail, before putting the call through.

on Apr 10, 2019 at 8:08am   •  0 likes
Hi Chris, 

I checked with Support and they advised that DND for physical phones resides on the phone itself only, it does not communicate with RC servers in any way so it doesn't show BLF to anyone. 

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us