News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Users
Update on March 31 deadline for TCR registration
Tags: sms and text messaging, news and announcements
Mar 23, 2023 at 12:31pm   •   10 replies  •  0 likes
Jessica-Community_Moderator

We are pleased to share that the March 31, 2023 deadline for registration has been extended. Customers are encouraged to continue their TCR registration to avoid additional filtering and throttling of messages, or having SMS blocked when an updated date is announced.

Over the last several months RingCentral has been helping our customers register with The Campaign Registry as required by US mobile carriers. At the same time, RingCentral has been advocating on behalf of our customers with messaging infrastructure providers, TCR, and the mobile carriers to ensure our customers voices’ and concerns are heard.

We are pleased to share that the March 31, 2023 date to register existing numbers has been extended. Following this date, we do not anticipate any mass blocking of SMS deliverability for RingCentral customers based explicitly on the elapsing of this deadline.

TCR registration is still required for all business SMS users, and we encourage customers to continue working on their TCR registration. Additional restrictions are being placed on unregistered traffic including higher levels of filtering and throttling that may result in messages being blocked if too many are sent at once. In addition, mobile carriers may still block SMS at any time with little or no notice, and RingCentral will not be able to enable new numbers or re-enable any number that has been disabled. Additionally, RingCentral will not be able to address deliverability or other SMS related issues for numbers that are not registered with TCR.

To complete the carrier required registration, please see our step by step instructional video, support articles, or call our dedicated TCR registration hotline that may be reached Monday-Friday from 5am-5pm PDT by calling 1-855-925-8622.

As a reminder, there are three steps for completing registration: registering your brand, adding a campaign (how you are using SMS), and assigning your numbers. You can find the status of your brand, campaign, and number provisioning within the RingCentral Admin Portal under Phone System > Enhanced Business SMS > 10DLC Registration.

For customers that submitted a PDF registration, you may not see this capability yet in the RingCentral Admin Portal. You can confirm the status of your registration with your account representative. Admins can check this contact if needed in MyRingCentral under My Contacts.

On behalf of the entire RingCentral team, we would also like to personally thank each and every RingCentral customer for their understanding of this carrier required registration, their efforts to ensure they are compliant with carrier requirements, and their patience throughout this process. Every single employee at RingCentral is dedicated to serving our customers, and we will continue to advocate for our customers while working to make this process as painless as possible.

on Sep 12, 2023 at 12:13pm   •  0 likes

8 months and this still is not working right. Eight! Now we are unable to get any SMS if it is sourced from, or routes through a U.S. service provider. Meanwhile, we have been told we don't need to do it because we are in Canada. But if our messages need to come from or pass through a U.S. system, such as Multi-Factor Authentication codes, they never reach us. I have pursued this month after month ,person after person, and it has gone no where.

Anyone else still stuck like this with Ring and the broken TCR process?

on Apr 13, 2023 at 11:12am   •  0 likes

This is the biggest scam on small businesses ever.

on Apr 11, 2023 at 7:28am   •  0 likes

We submitted our completed registration on January 16th. Over 2 months later the system sent a notice saying our application was incomplete. It most certainly was not. I kept a copy of the completed forms / screen shots. We opened a ticket about this, wrote to our account rep, and each time just got the blanket answer to "do it again". FOUR TIMES later we still got this message saying the form was incomplete - and we used YOUR guides every time. So I just did this for the FIFTH time and now it says its going to bill us for this registration. And this time, the process was different - now the form asks for a DBA, which was never part of the original form we did back in January or the following submissions. And after submitting, we got an auto-reply saying out information is wrong. It is NOT wrong! We know what our company name is, and our Canadian Tax registration. Your system is utterly broken, wasting our time, costing us money and will ultimately drive us away from you Ring Central.

on Apr 11, 2023 at 9:04am   •  0 likes

Paul, I'm very sorry to hear this. The details needed original quickly changed and we did our best to support those changes and expectations from the carriers as we proceeded forward.

If you need explicit assistance with this process, please reach out to my team via email and I'll have them help to escalate. Community.Support@RingCentral.com

on Apr 24, 2023 at 1:38pm   •  0 likes

SIX times now registering. And this time it just says it is stuck in pending status.

on Apr 14, 2023 at 9:06am   •  1 likes

It is completely unreasonable to keep changing the goal posts, and then tell your customers to re-do their application over and over again because every time they apply, you've changed another rule ,setting or some stupid aspect. This is hot helping us, this is not supporting us. We refuse to pay for the registration as it is not our fault your system is broken and has now passed the time frame of when you said these fees would be covered by Ring. Your system failures are not going to be made our problem. Stop wasting our time, stop costing us money, stop changing the goal posts!

on Apr 1, 2023 at 3:47pm   •  1 likes

I am a sole proprietor. I am the only one who uses my phone system. I do text my clients, but it's always one to one, and NO bulk/blast texts. I refuse to do this. If I am forced, I will simply drop RingCentral altogether and get an extra cell phone to conduct my very small business with.

on Apr 3, 2023 at 12:18pm   •  1 likes

I completely understand. This is not a RingCentral requirement, but an industry requirement being driven by mobile carriers. As such we are not able to guarantee continued SMS service unless you choose to register. Unregistered traffic is subject to higher surcharges, more aggressive filtering, throttling, and potentially being blocked by mobile carriers and aggregators.

on Apr 3, 2023 at 5:06pm   •  0 likes

Hi Mike, When registering a TCR campaign, should you register 2 campaigns (one for conversational; one for automated messages) if you use both types?

on Apr 7, 2023 at 10:57am   •  0 likes

For mixed use cases you can select the "Automated" campaign type, and then select "Mixed." This will allow you to do both with one campaign.

If you are sending a large amount of automated messages I would recommend having two separate campaigns (just in case you get spam complaints or flagged by carriers so that it doesn't impact your conversational numbers).

on Apr 3, 2023 at 5:08pm   •  0 likes

Also, under:

Campaign and content attributes -- I forgot to select the option:

Embedded link Indicates whether the campaign is using an embedded link of any kind. Note that public URL shorteners such as Bitly and TinyURL aren't accepted. Learn more about link best practice

Does that mean I need to resubmit a new campaign and enable the embedded links option?

on Apr 7, 2023 at 10:58am   •  0 likes

Please wait to see if your campaign is approved or rejected. Then you can update that campaign. Submitting multiple campaigns for the same purpose may result in them both being rejected.

on Mar 31, 2023 at 12:18pm   •  0 likes

Is this required for all customers? Wonder exactly the purpose and what the consequences of not registering are as well, please advise.

on Apr 3, 2023 at 12:14pm   •  1 likes

Hi Marisol, if you use SMS text messaging with RingCentral then it is required to continue using SMS. If you do not register, mobile carriers or aggregators will start to more heavily filter your messages, throttle messages (only so many allowed at one time), and eventually may block your messages from being sent to recipients on their networks.

If you do not use SMS no action is required as no other services are impacted.

on Apr 5, 2023 at 5:14pm   •  0 likes

Hi Mike, nobody got back with us to check if we were still registered from the email we received on Wednesday March 29th. Caria started the process. We are approved for our brand again. We are registering again. It says when we create a campaign the SMS will be disabled until we are approved. We are re registering the numbers to make sure the SMS is not disabled. Why would they be disabled while it's waiting to be approved? Am I misinterpreting the statement? Tried calling the 855 number and they hung up on us eight times and only once did someone call back. Are we supposed to send them some donuts, cookies and coffee right away so the line does not disconnect :)

Thank you,

Vince

on Apr 6, 2023 at 9:58am   •  1 likes

Anthony, Thanks for sharing this experience - we'll be sure to share this with our teams that are supporting the dedicated SMS Registration Support Team.

I took a moment to review your current registration. It looks like your brand registration was processed, but there are no campaigns registered or submitted yet. Please follow the process outlined HERE for registering your campaign.

If you had access to SMS before this registration process started, you should continue to have access. The deadline has been extended, but we encourage you to keep moving forward with the process.

If you run into hurdles or have additional questions - please reach out to the Community Team at Community.Support@RingCentral.com

on Apr 6, 2023 at 11:46am   •  0 likes

Hi Becky, we are called the 855-925-8622 and they informed us we will lose our ability to text until it is approved which is about 20 business days even though we can text now. We do not have a rep, Amanda Leon and her supervisor Thomas Van De Bogart refuse to help us. Mike Stowe disappeared. This is a 911 for us. We have done everything on our end but RC refuses to help. Who do I call to get the correct answer?

Thank you,

Vince

on Apr 6, 2023 at 10:38am   •  0 likes

Thank you for the reply Becky. Mike Stowe registered us 2/10/22. Our rep emailed us four times in the last three months saying all our numbers are registered. Then she said register again even though we are registered. Mike Stowe informed me they would look into it on 3/30, but we have not heard anything yet. He said some customers have to register again for some unknown reason. We realize TCR is forcing every VOIP to do this, so we are not upset with the messenger. We just need more transparency so we know what we need to do. If we register the campaigns are we going to be able to always see the status on our portal? What will happen since Mike already registered us for conversational use on 2/10/22? We plan on adding another 50-100 numbers over time, so we want to register them and realize each campaign only holds 49 numbers. We cannot rely on our rep to tell us if we are registered. We only trust ourselves to be able to monitor the situation, so we are not in this position again. Sorry to bother you, but we don't have a rep now and both of her supervisors do not care enough to help us. Basically if our SMS goes down we lose our business. To say we are panicked is an understatement. We have been forced to contact an attorney to prepare for what will happen when we lose our ability to text due to the negligence from RC. We would rather just run our business, but RC cannot do their job.

Thank you,

Vince

on Apr 6, 2023 at 11:50am   •  0 likes

Vinny, I can't speak for Mike, but from what I am seeing you have not registered any campaigns.
Mike is out this week at a conference and I don't want to slow down your progress - I would recommend beginning the process. If the registration from Mike had gone through, I believe I would be able to see it. I would set up your initial campaign to ensure everything is in place and then we can work toward the additional campaigns and numbers that you want to add.

I assure you, I care about your registration and will happy to assist.
Your current use of SMS will not be effected and all additions to the Admin Portal where you set up your registration will be accessible to the Super Admin on your team that manages the Admin Portal on your behalf.

If you need assistance, my team is glad to help. You can shoot us an email at the address I previously provided.

on Apr 6, 2023 at 1:35pm   •  0 likes

Thank you for your help and concern Becky. It is refreshing to see someone actually cares about us. We spoke to a supervisor from the 855-925-8622 office and he said we probably will not lose our ability to text during the approval process. He did say that verbal consent is basically not an option because a customer must opt in to receive a text. We were told from Mike before that would not happen. People call us asking for a singing telegram. When we make the sale we ask if we can text them a receipt and a reminder. They say yes 100% of the time. The supervisor said we send them a text and they must opt in or they will not receive their receipt. We know some will not opt in and call us asking where is their receipt. Keep in mind 100% of the text messages we have done the last nine years with RC have all been to customers who contacted us first. Mike had told us before to get verbal consent and to put in the terms and services on the website they may receive a text from us to help them in the booking process.

Thank you,

Vince

on Mar 29, 2023 at 9:11pm   •  2 likes

This is not required at all by carriers. Carriers don't require a "brand", or "campaign" to use SMS with an app. Lots of apps use SMS. This is an effort to collect business data. The amount of money we are paying as sole proprietors just to have a couple of phone numbers and maintain a fax line for the dinosaurs is not cool. If you want to expand into "A.I." land and all, cool, make it an option. I'll take a look. But that you're requiring this just to maintain a service tells me you only want to serve established "brands" that will pay for various "campaigns", like Google makes us do for advertising. So no we're going incoroporate the communications themselves into that mess. That's what feels like is coming.

on Mar 29, 2023 at 9:12pm   •  1 likes

A reminder as well, if you start costing businesses their communications, thus causing them to incur losses, as it sounds like is happening above...a LOT of your clients are lawyers, like myself. And even the solo lawyers can make A LOT of trouble in a very very short period of time.

on Mar 31, 2023 at 11:47am   •  0 likes

I hope the lawyers do step in on this. There is absolutely NO VALUE to what has been decided. This TCR registration is supposed to stop spam texts? It will not do that at all - the scammers can fake the numbers they are texting from, or just as easily, they can register a whole bunch of numbers and use it to spam until they get cut off, rinse, repeat.

We submitted our form in January, following Ring's guidelines. Our submission has been rejected 3 times in a row for incomplete information. It is NOT incomplete in any way. Every field was filled, as per their rules. We don't use SMS to campaign. It is purely conversational between us and our youth clients (social work), and even thought we have stated this multiple times, we have been rejected again and again, and just keep getting told to submit again. That is outrageous on top of how stupid this failure of an idea is going to be right off the bat. This needs to be stopped. It is a cash grab, it has zero benefit, it is a huge waste of our time to be doing this over and over.

on Mar 29, 2023 at 12:49pm   •  1 likes

Simple question. If the date was extended, WHY are 4 of my lines SMS turned off "while awaiting vetting." If I submitted everything in February and March 26th, Why do I NOT HAVE SMS NOW?

on Mar 26, 2023 at 11:21am   •  0 likes

Hello Jessica -- How do we find out who our account manager is? Our sales rep had mentioned on March 12th we'd be "transitioning to a dedicated account manager," but nothing since. We would prefer to have someone we can go straight to with questions who is familiar with our account and the TCR situation vs having to start fresh calling (and holding for) customer service every time. Thank you.

on Mar 30, 2023 at 7:52am   •  0 likes

@Merrilee Guarini I believe that @Mary-Community_Moderator got you the info that you need, but if you should need anything else, please let us know.

on Mar 26, 2023 at 2:17pm   •  5 likes

You do realize how complete f-ed this is for businesses that use text to communicate with existing customers? The majority of ring central customers are small businesses that dont use our numbers for soliciting new business. Ive now paid $30+ to try and register campaigns and who knows how much you are scamming us for monthly to send texts to our customers. When I signed up, texting was included. We use text to communicate with customers that already purchased or are purchasing services through us. Why do we now have to go watch instructional videos on how to set this up? Set it up for us and dont charge us for it. Our services should work for what we agreed on. If the business solicits and sends out mass texts, yes, they should probably fill all this crap out. You guys are unbelievable. I have a business to run. Not screw around with ring central so I can make sure my customers can text me. What am I supposed to do now? Go back and change all our literature that tells customers to text us? Morons. you guys are... morons.

on Mar 27, 2023 at 6:29am   •  1 likes

Unfortunately this is an industry requirement set by US mobile carriers, and is not limited to RingCentral. As part of these requirements, businesses need to register themselves as well as specifically state how they are using SMS. Previously, RingCentral did register customer numbers on your behalf, however this is no longer acceptable and that traffic will be considered "unregistered" by the carriers, and eventually blocked.

In terms of the fees for registration, none of these fees are RingCentral fees - but are the registration and maintenance charges from TCR, aggregators, vetting agencies, and mobile carriers. RingCentral is not charging any additional fees as part of the TCR registration process. You can see a full breakdown of these fees here.

Lastly, RingCentral continues to cover a portion of the new fees imposed by carriers, including the allotment that was provided when carriers added new per-message surcharges on SMS.

I know this process has been incredibly frustrating and appreciate your feedback. We will continue to work to improve this process, provide greater clarity and transparency, and help every customer adjust to these new requirements for business SMS.

on Apr 1, 2023 at 3:44pm   •  0 likes

Then why don't Verizon customers have to do it? I have a client who uses Verizon for his 4 business lines. His company DOES send out bulk texts to his customers. He has not heard ANYTHING about this!

on Mar 24, 2023 at 6:51am   •  1 likes

How about informing extended to WHEN?????? Give us ALL the information please...

on Mar 24, 2023 at 8:31am   •  1 likes

A new date has not yet been communicated. As soon as we have a new date we will absolutely provide.

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us