News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Users
How do I set up RC iphone app to receive SMS Texts?
Tags: mobile, sms and text messaging
Aug 20, 2018 at 6:02pm   •   4 replies  •  0 likes
barbara-oliver

After so many of my clients have ended up with my cell phone number and text me at all hours - I decided I would finally upgrade my Ringcentral account that I ahvehad for about 12 years to the business plan that will allow that.

I can;t seem to get the RC app set up to receive texts though and wondering if it's just not really capable of what I need.

I have a main account number (which i never use) and 2 business phone numbers that I answer with diff business names. I ahvealways just forwarded voice calls to my cell using the called number so I keep straight which way to answer - so I have never used the RC app.

Now with wanting texting - I have to use the app - but it is looking like I have to sign into and out of each number in order to receive texts - which would totally defeat the purpose.

Am I missing something or shuldI just revert to my previous less expensive plan and find an alternate solution (even carrying a separate "work" phone is an option!)

on Aug 20, 2018 at 8:11pm   •  0 likes
The other comments I agree with, but I just want to mention one idea that might help to some degree.

You can forward the inbound texts for more than one number to a single place like your cell or email.  You will still have to log out and back in to reply from that number though.  

I'm not aware of a product that manages in and outbound SMS for multiple numbers/business easily, but I'll bet there is something out there for a price.
on Aug 21, 2018 at 11:31am   •  0 likes
Is anyone able to send text messages from your RingCentral mobile app and set it to show you caller ID as main company number? Receivers are seeing my Polycom number even though I set it to our main business number.
on Aug 20, 2018 at 6:05pm   •  0 likes
Barbara, No, you are not missing anything. Youre absolutely correct that you have to log into each individual number to get SMS text messages for that particular number. Think of it like having two separate cell phones.
on Aug 20, 2018 at 6:10pm   •  0 likes
That is very irritating as I specifically asked about this before I changed my account today - I guess the rep was just too concerned with making a sale to actually listen to what I needed.

Any suggestions for a way to accomplish what I need - being able to text clients using my business numbers on one phone?

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us