question

Andy Brandt avatar image
Andy Brandt asked Phong Vu commented

CallOut using mobile/desktop app?

Hello, we have implemented a simple auto-dialer which uses the CallOut api to initiate a call on a specific device. It works great for any hardware phones that we have, but we are wondering if there's a way for it to work with softphones too? I got it working with the RingCentral Phone desktop app, but it doesn't appear to work with either the regular RingCentral desktop or mobile apps, or the RC Phone android app.

Basically, the issue is that they never appears in the list of devices (using RestClient.Restapi().Account().Extension().Device().Get() ), or it always shows as offline. Is there something simple i'm missing, or is what i'm trying to do not possible?

Thanks in advance!

Andy

rest api
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Phong Vu avatar image
Phong Vu answered Mark Hammans commented

Hi Andy,

Sorry for this long delayed response.

The RC mobile apps and the RC Desktop app do not register a device id so that you cannot find it from the extension device list. This is the current issue w/o a solution. I will work with the eng. team to see how we can overcome this and update you once I get a solution.

1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Jannis Papapetrou avatar image
Jannis Papapetrou answered

Hi, is there maybe an update on this post?

1 |3000

Chris Flath avatar image
Chris Flath answered Phong Vu commented

I too would like an update on this. Obviously with so much of the workforce working remotely and using the RC Desktop app on their laptops, the support for CallOut from the app rather than a hard phone is imperative for the API to even provide the most basic value.

1 comment
1 |3000

Phong Vu avatar image Phong Vu ♦♦ commented ·

Unfortunately, it is still unsupported for the RC mobile and desktop app. For desktop environment, all you can do right now is to install the RingCentral Desktop phone app (soft-phone) and you can make a call-out from that device.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alex Rogers avatar image
Alex Rogers answered Phong Vu commented

@Phong Vu

I was wondering if there is an answer to this yet? (To get the device id of the desktop app). When the RC desktop app makes calls then we see its device id in the event output, so we can find out the id by that method. And using the id (after we found it in the events) can then be used in CallOut. But waiting for an event is not exactly a reliable method.

3 comments
1 |3000

Unfortunately, the RC desktop app, RC mobile app and other WebRTC phone apps still do not register their dynamic device id. The only way to get the device id of those apps is to use that weak workaround solution. We are still working on a solution for this but at this point in time, I have no ETA yet.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alex Rogers avatar image Alex Rogers Phong Vu ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks @Phong Vu . When you say the "weak workaround solution" then are you referring to your reply in my other post? (https://community.ringcentral.com/questions/105679/can-i-get-deviceid-in-telephony-subscription-event.html?childToView=105827)

I understand that we can get the Device Id during calls now, but I'm hoping to find a way to get the Device Id for the RC app without making a call. I'm hoping to use this Device Id for CallOut.

I know that if I get the RC Device Id from events then I can use it for CallOut, but that isn't really useful/scalable.

0 Likes 0 ·
Phong Vu avatar image Phong Vu ♦♦ Alex Rogers commented ·

Yes, you have to make an outbound call from the RC app, detect the call event using the telephony session event notification and grab the device id. But, that dynamic device id may change when the user logs out and login from different network/location.

1 Like 1 ·
Adrian Ellison avatar image
Adrian Ellison answered Phong Vu commented

Following the recent blog post on the unified app improvements, does the RC app now support deviceID ?

https://www.ringcentral.com/us/en/blog/ringcentrals-redesigned-app/

1 comment
1 |3000

Unfortunately, it is still not supported.

The only workaround solution is to implement an app "setup" step. The app setup requires the user to use the RC app to make an outbound call to any number and the user can hangup when the call is ringing (or even before ringing). Your app need to subscribe for the telephony/sessions event notification. You will catch the notification of that outbound call and you can detect the device id from the "from": { "deviceId": "xxxx" }

However, the device id will be different if the user closes the browser tab (if the browser app is being used). Or close and restart the RC app desktop! So one has to build a logic to setup and update the dynamic device id.

1 Like 1 ·

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys