question

Brian Suarez avatar image
Brian Suarez asked Alexander Berlin commented

Newly added Polycom phone is showing all lines as the user

I recently inherited our RingCentral account and recently formatted and added a polycom phone to our system. On this new phone it has 6 lines available and all of them are displaying the users name. On other phones on our system it is only showing the first 2 lines with the users name. I'm not able to change the settings on the phone because the password gets changed to something I don't know on the phone and I'm not able to remote connect to the phones IP address. I also see for this user, in their presence, they are showing only 2 lines with their name. Is this a local phone setting I can adjust or is the setting somewhere on the RC Admin portal? Is there a section in the RC Admin portal that I can see the config settings to find the password and/or reset it?

hardwaresettingspresence
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

amber-h avatar image
amber-h answered Alexander Berlin commented

Hello Brian,

When a user hasn't programmed any speed dials/Presence the device displays the extension name on all lines.

You will not need to know the password for the device to program the lines. You will need to access the Admin Portal > Users > Users with Extensions > locate the extension > Phones & Numbers > Presence > Assign Extension to line 3.

This will unlock the device for the user to program lines from the device directly and will remove the user's name from all lines. (Their name will always be assigned to lines 1 and 2.)

(The user can also do this for themselves by signing into service.ringcentral.com if they have permissions to manage their own settings.)

Here is a link to Presence FAQ's:
https://support.ringcentral.com/article/Presence-Frequently-Asked-Questions.html

2 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Brian Suarez avatar image Brian Suarez commented ·

Any Extension assigned to line 3 will unlock it?

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexander Berlin avatar image Alexander Berlin commented ·

Hello! I know this is an old thread, but it is very relevant to my problem. It’s actually the opposite case. I would like to restore the lines to have lines 3 and 4 assigned back to the user (in addition to lines 1 and 2) and make the rest of the lines (5-12 on my Poly 450 phone) available for presence. However, if I try to remove presence from another extension on lines 3 and 4, the system does not let me assign a line back to the user, only another extension, so if I delete it, there is a blank assignment on lines 3 and 4 and I can’t even press that button. This means that I either have 2 lines on this extension (and the user won’t be able to pick up more than 2 calls) or all 12 assigned to the user, but I can’t have 3 or 4 and the rest be used for presence. Is this true? That doesn’t make sense to me. Can that be changed? Please let me know…

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
amber-h avatar image
amber-h answered Brian Suarez commented

Correct. Although, it will have to be an extension listed within the Assign Extension offerings. (No IVRs, Announcement Only, etc.)

5 comments
1 |3000

Ok, I've assigned myself the 3rd line, the phone shows correctly as the User on lines 1 and 2 and myself as line 3. I go to remove myself from the line and it reverts back to showing all the lines as the user. Am I missing a step or setting somewhere?

0 Likes 0 ·
amber-h avatar image amber-h Brian Suarez commented ·

Hello Brian,

You have done everything correctly and the device is behaving as expected.

If you wish to have the user's name appear only on lines 1 & 2, then a more permanent extension should be programmed on line 3.

There is no harm in allowing the user's extension to appear on every line item if there is no need for any additional buttons to be programmed.

0 Likes 0 ·
Brian Suarez avatar image Brian Suarez amber-h commented ·

OK, good deal. it's more of trying to make the phones uniform throughout our offices. my predecessor did something where only the users name shows on lines 1 and 2 and the other lines were empty. I discussed with one of my users about it and they said it's fine, just as long as they get their calls :) .

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Joe Croll avatar image
Joe Croll answered Joe Croll commented

Hello,

The only way I found to remove the extra lines (outside of adding presence, as stated above) is to log into the Web UI as Admin and navigate to Utilities -> Line Key Configuration. Highlight the line and change "No. of Line Appearances" to the desired number.

This will show the user on line 1 only and remove the extra lines without adding Presence. This really should be built into the portal and the "workaround" to remove the extra lines by adding presence for a line you may not need doesn't make sense to me.

3 comments
1 |3000

mary-community-moderator avatar image mary-community-moderator ♦♦ commented ·

Hi Joe, if you have suggestions or recommendations on this feature, please add it to our Ideas Portal at https://ideas.ringcentral.com/.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hey Joe. Sorry but the Web UI you are referring to is the phones Web UI? or within Ringcentral?

0 Likes 0 ·
Joe Croll avatar image Joe Croll Brian Suarez commented ·

Hi Brian,

Yes, the WebUI of the phone. Determine the IP address of phone and navigate to https://[phone-ipaddress]

Login as admin with the following passwords:

• 456 (Default Polycom Admin Password)
  • 789 (Default Ring Central Admin Password)
  • MAC address/Serial Number of the phone

If you're unable to login, you may need to perform the following:

• Purchased the phone directly from Ring Central
    • Reach out to support to unlock your phone. They state this "voids your warranty". You may need to provide the serial number/mac address of the phone.
    • Once they unlock your phone, try to logging in again with the credentials above
  • 3rd Party Phone (Purchased outside of Ring Central)

Once you're logged in, follow the instructions above to remove the extra lines. For most use cases, you really only need one line listed and there should be no need for presence.

We're migrating our remote sites to RingCentral but on prem we're Call Manger and the lack of flexibility/customization for the phones (For example, setting a background, changing the line label, removing the erroneous lines, etc) which can all be done from the Web UI and therefore configured via the provisioning config file is really frustrating.

0 Likes 0 ·
Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app