question

Alex Rogers avatar image
Alex Rogers asked Alex Rogers commented

RegisterDevice creates a SIP device with no valid Emergency Address

I'm testing using the Sandbox. I would like my application to register a softphone (my own stack) so I'm trying to get and use the SIP credentials for the current logged-in user.

I call the Register Device method (https://developers.ringcentral.com/api-reference/Device-SIP-Registration/createSIPRegistration) with Transport set to UDP. This gives me the SIP credentials that I need.

Then I register my softphone. However when I make test calls with the softphone then I hear the phrase "You cannot use this phone because you have not registered your address for E911 emergency calling purposes using this phone". I do not hear this phrase when using any of the user's other devices (ie RC Phone, Yealink).

To fix it, I tried to follow up the Register with a call to Update Device (https://developers.ringcentral.com/api-reference/Devices/updateDevice) to set the Emergency Address for the device. However, this request requires me to have the "EditAccounts" privilege, and that one is not in the list that I can request.

Please can you tell me where I'm going wrong in this process?

developer sandboxsoftphonesip
1 comment
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Phong Vu avatar image Phong Vu ♦♦ commented ·

What is your app client id?

0 Likes 0 ·
Alex Rogers avatar image
Alex Rogers answered Alex Rogers commented

My App's Client ID is: Gg5FnfxXQVaI4qfNcttVoA

2 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Phong Vu avatar image Phong Vu ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks! Any reason that your app is a public app on your free-tier account? I can help adding the EditAccounts app permission to your app in sandbox environment. But this will be a problem for you to promote this public app to the production later.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alex Rogers avatar image Alex Rogers Phong Vu ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks. So you agree that, in the circumstances, my app should be the one to add the Emergency Address? It's not supposed to be inherited from somewhere?

Regarding your questions:

1) It's a public app because when it's ready then we intend to promote it to other customers.

2) The sandbox (free-tier?) seems a good place to develop in.

So I don't really understand your questions. Why will this be a problem later? Because we wouldn't be able to use "EditAccounts"?

0 Likes 0 ·
vyshakhbabji avatar image
vyshakhbabji Deactivated answered Alex Rogers commented

Are you working with BYOD devices , RC Softphone or Webphone?

One way you can add emergency address is by logging into Service Web (service.devtest.ringcentral.com) -> User -> Phone Number. - > Edit Emergency Address here:

general-settings.pnguser-phone-details.png

If you are using WebPhone -> OAuth flow has a way to update emergency address for Webphone devices .

Lemme know if that works for you

1 comment
1 |3000

Alex Rogers avatar image Alex Rogers commented ·

Thanks, vyshakhbabji. I'm using a BYOB device.

The device that I create using CreateSipRegistration doesn't appear in the the portal as per your screenshot. There, I only see my two permanent devices.

1644877298883.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1644877298883.png (7.7 KiB)

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys