question

Chirag Shukla avatar image
Chirag Shukla asked Becky-Community_Manager commented

[SOLVED] Option+arrow keyboard shortcut on Mac overrides native behavior causing unexpected behavior

In Mac OSX, natively, a user can use Option + Left arrow or Option + Right arrow to move the cursor back one word or forward one word. That's a consistent behavior in every application on the Mac.

RingCentral App introduced additional keyboard shortcuts in 22.1.20.341 Web, 22.1.11.2682 Mac (Intel) release that changes the native behavior. In RingCentral App, using Option + Left arrow takes a user back in history. If a user is typing a message and wants to go back a word, they'd use Option + Left arrow, but RingCentral App will take them to the previous history. That means, the user can't use native OSX shortcut and their attention is diverted away from typing the message on to the previous history. What a terrible behavior and choice of keyboard shortcuts!

Can you revert the keyboard shortcut for Option + Left arrow/Right arrow OR give users the ability to choose their shortcut for actions OR remove shortcuts a user feels unnecessary? Your developers must be familiar with Visual Studio Code's flexibility of keyboard shortcuts. Visual Studio Code has really sane and flexible keyboard shortcut options. Perhaps you can provide similar functionalities.

I can see that Ring Central does a consistently poor job of QA'ing their application. Hopefully your management can invest in more and better QA. Hopefully, your product managers and developers can work closely on user experience in case you don't have a dedicated user experience team.

ringcentral appshortcut
10 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

brian-engert4691 avatar image brian-engert4691 commented ·

I agree with this post. Option and arrows are a very useful and universal way to jump a word. Ctrl+ left/right still work as expected on windows. It would be best if option and left/right are restored to the default behavior .

2 Likes 2 ·
mislav-kos4826 avatar image mislav-kos4826 commented ·

+1. Overriding what option left/right does normally leads to a really frustrating user experience.

2 Likes 2 ·
Becky-Community_Manager avatar image Becky-Community_Manager ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks for this feedback. We'd ask that feature requests or ideas be added to the Ideas Portal at ideas.ringcentral.com
We'll make sure the idea for this gets in front of the right teams.

0 Likes 0 ·
Chirag Shukla avatar image Chirag Shukla Becky-Community_Manager ♦♦ commented ·

@Becky-Community_Manager this is not an idea or feature request. This is a post about your product defect. This post is a critique of a feature RingCentral added without testing thoroughly. We are asking you to revert a portion of the feature because it breaks native functionality of the operating system.

Ideas.ringcentral.com seems to be for new features that weren't in RingCentral before. This post is about an existing feature that RingCentral could have done a better job of implementing.

1 Like 1 ·
Becky-Community_Manager avatar image Becky-Community_Manager ♦♦ Chirag Shukla commented ·

I understand, @Chirag Shukla - but the Ideas Portal is a great place to surface UX/UI shifts and challenges experienced post-release.
Thanks for creating the idea. My team will work on creating some visibility with the product teams.

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Chirag Shukla avatar image Chirag Shukla commented ·

@Parker Johnson @brian-engert @mislav-kos and @Becky-Community_Manager I have added the idea here: https://ideas.ringcentral.com/ideas/CUSTCOM-I-4911

Those who are coming to this post, please feel free to add a comment to Becky (optionally) and add your comments/votes to the ideas page also.

0 Likes 0 ·
mislav-kos4826 avatar image mislav-kos4826 Chirag Shukla commented ·

Here's a link to that "idea" post: https://ideas.ringcentral.com/ideas/CUSTCOM-I-4911.

But I have to agree with Chirag's characterization of this issue: this is a defect, not a feature request. If it's seen as a feature request, there is more of a chance that it will languish on the backlog and never get implemented.

1 Like 1 ·
Show more comments

1 Answer

Chirag Shukla avatar image
Chirag Shukla answered Becky-Community_Manager commented

Folks, I received an update on RC App. My version is now 22.1.21.349 Web, 22.1.20.2759 Mac (Intel) and this issue is resolved. I can use Option + left arrow/right arrow using OSX natural behavior.

RC devs, thank you for fixing this so quickly. Cc @Becky-Community_Manager

It seems that RC removed a bunch of keyboard shortcuts they had to fix this issue urgently. I now only see 2 keyboard shortcuts for app navigation; previously there were a bunch more. That's OK with me.

1645722490577.png

1645722490577.png (16.1 KiB)
1 comment
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Becky-Community_Manager avatar image Becky-Community_Manager ♦♦ commented ·

Great to hear, @Chirag Shukla!
Thanks for circling back with us in the Community!

1 Like 1 ·
Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app