question

Diego Pastor avatar image
Diego Pastor asked Diego Pastor commented

Is there an account wide instant message event webhook?

Hi community.

We're currently working on a ring central integration to detect the inbound sms for all users in our organization. For the call, we have the account level telephony event presented here https://developers.ringcentral.com/api-reference/Account-Telephony-Sessions-Event.

However It looks like for the SMS there's only an extension web hook and this cannot be set for the whole account. https://developers.ringcentral.com/api-reference/Instant-Message-Event

Is there a way for a webhook on a main account to recieve all the sms events of all users of the account like in the telephony events?

If not, then i would like to ask if there's a limit on the event filters array when creating a subscription and how that may affect the delivery performance of the sms events. As we don't want to create a web hook per each user.

As context. We have a front end spa application (with 3 legged auth) to handle creating calls and sms and a back end application to handle web hook events (with password or jwt auth)

sms and text messagingwebhooks
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Phong Vu avatar image
Phong Vu answered Diego Pastor commented

No. But if you authenticate your app with a super admin user credentials, you can subscribe for other extensions instant message using their extension Ids. E.g.

var eventFilters = [
     '/restapi/v1.0/account/~/extension/244609001/message-store/instant?type=SMS',
     '/restapi/v1.0/account/~/extension/244609002/message-store/instant?type=SMS',
     '/restapi/v1.0/account/~/extension/244609003/message-store/instant?type=SMS',
     ]
5 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Diego Pastor avatar image Diego Pastor commented ·

Hi Phong, thanks for answering. In that case, we currently have more than 300 users. If I were to add all of those in the event filters, is there going to be any performance issues or is there a limit for the event inside that array?

0 Likes 0 ·
Phong Vu avatar image Phong Vu ♦♦ Diego Pastor commented ·

As far as I know, there is "no limit" of event filters. There could be an actual limit but I believe that it would be much much higher than any real use case.

I don't think that 300 is a big number that would cause a performance issue in terms of incoming text message notification.

May I know the use case of capturing all company incoming text messages in real time?

0 Likes 0 ·
Diego Pastor avatar image Diego Pastor Phong Vu ♦♦ commented ·

Sure, the business wants to have an internal communications logs that centralizes calls, sms and emailing. (call and sms being done via RC)

That's why we need to detect when a new inbound sms arrives for any user to either fill that in real time (if all info is in the event) or to schedule it for a later update.

We don't want to have a webhook per each user for this, because that would mean that in case we want to debug the subscriptions or administer them, we would need their credentials. So, like with the call events in which you only need a single web hook, we wanted to do something similar for sms

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys