News & Announcements User Community Developer Community

Welcome to the RingCentral Community

Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.

Search
Make sure to review our Terms of Use and Community Guidelines.
  Please note the community is currently under maintenance and is read-only.
Home » Users
Custom answering rules route to IVR?
Tags: ivr
Jul 29, 2022 at 8:31am   •   2 replies  •  0 likes
james-huegli

Hi everyone,

Is there a way to have a custom answering rule route to an IVR menu? I tried user extension, but I can't select an IVR extension. For example, for all holidays I would like to have a custom answering rule that routes to simple IVR menu that allows for a greeting to the nature of "Hello. We're closed for the holiday, but if this is an emergency press 9 now and you'll be routed to our emergency response team." If there isn't an official way to do this is there some sort of workaround I could implement?

2 Answers
answered on Jul 29, 2022 at 6:12pm  

It's because you're in Single Level mode in the Auto Receptionist. When in SL mode, you do not have the option to route to an IVR (for reasons unknown). You can either switch to Multi Level mode and go from there (being mindful of your current configuration), or if you wish to stay in SL mode, I would do this: create a call queue called IVR Connector, disable the hours of the queue save for a period of 15 minutes, and in the after hours of the queue you can connect to your desired IVR. Basically, if you stay in SL mode, create the custom rule and have it connect to that queue, the queue would then always connect to your desired IVR.

...but honestly, just change it to multi level mode and go from there.

on Jul 29, 2022 at 9:01pm   •  0 likes

So, it's nested under the conversation above with Mary, but what I decided to do was create a "free" mobile user and under call handling flipped on "forward all calls" and set that to the IVR menu I created. I looked at flipping on the multi-level IVR, but that would delete the 10+ custom rules I created already and during work hours I want phone calls to bypass any sort of IVR menu and go straight to an extension, which for now, I don't see is possible with a multi-level IVR. Don't get me wrong, it might be possible, but I just don't see it right now.

on Jul 30, 2022 at 5:04am   •  0 likes

Yeah fair enough, if it works then it works! But just FYI - when you're in ML mode, you can simply create rules that ring live answer, it doesn't have to be a menu first.

on Aug 1, 2022 at 9:15am   •  0 likes

Awesome! I was sure it was there; I knew I just wasn't seeing it. Thanks for sharing that with me. Next deployment I'll look at starting out with ML mode.

answered on Jul 29, 2022 at 9:22am  

The workaround is to select Play an announcement and upload or record a greeting you would like to announce. When you record or upload a greeting, leave at least 3 to 5 seconds of silence to give the caller a chance to press a number. Then, create an extension with that particular number, and configure its Call Forwarding Settings to route your calls to the emergency response team's number. You can also forward it to another extension or an external number.

on Jul 29, 2022 at 9:32am   •  0 likes

Hi Mary. Thanks for responding. Doesn't there need to be some sort of IVR involved so the system knows what to do when a button is pressed? Are you saying if I create a number 9 extension that goes to a mobile phone and during the greeting they press "9" it will just route there without any sort of special programming?

on Jul 29, 2022 at 9:34am   •  0 likes

I should have added that it would be nice if users could also have the option to leave a message. For example, they are prompted to press "9" to be transferred to after-hours emergency support or to leave a message after the tone.

on Jul 29, 2022 at 10:03am   •  0 likes

Yes, it is possible. You may select the option Send to voicemail. Make sure to provide the correct extension number for the emergency response team. It doesn't need to be in the IVR to get it routed to the correct extension.

on Jul 29, 2022 at 11:14am   •  0 likes

Hi Mary,

What about this - what if I add a free mobile user, switch on "forward all calls" and then have it forward to an "IVR Menu." I would then route my "after hours" calls to go that mobile extension which forwards to the IVR and then I would also be able to use that under my custom answering rules. I know that free mobile users have a "10 call limit". Would we then be charged for that user if in a month as users call, hit the free mobile extension, which forwards to the IVR?

on Jul 29, 2022 at 12:01pm   •  0 likes

This is also possible, but charges may incur for reaching the limit.

on Jul 29, 2022 at 2:42pm   •  0 likes

Hi Mary,

I wondered about that so I called Ring Central support to inquire about it - they said as long as that extension isn't ringing (which it isn't because it's always being forwarded) I shouldn't have to worry? I should note - I've toggled on the "Always forward" switch in the upper left-hand corner under call handling. Was that person wrong?

on Jul 29, 2022 at 12:22pm   •  0 likes

Hi Mary,

I wondered about that so I called Ring Central support to inquire about it - they said as long as that extension isn't ringing (which it isn't because it's always being forwarded) I shouldn't have to worry? I should note - I've toggled on the "Always forward" switch in the upper left-hand corner under call handling. Was that person wrong?

A new Community is coming to RingCentral!

Posts are currently read-only as we transition into our new platform.

We thank you for your patience
during this downtime.

Try Workflow Builder

Did you know you can easily automate tasks like responding to SMS, team messages, and more? Plus it's included with RingCentral Video and RingEX plans!

Try RingCentral Workflow Builder

PRODUCTS
RingEX
Phone
OPEN ECOSYSTEM
Developer Platform
APIs
Integrated Apps
App Gallery
Developer support
Games and rewards

RESOURCES
Resource center
Blog
Product Releases
Accessibility
QUICK LINKS
App Download
RingCentral App login
Admin Portal Login
Contact Sales
© 1999-2024 RingCentral, Inc. All rights reserved. Legal Privacy Notice Site Map Contact Us