question

Nathan Douds avatar image
Nathan Douds asked Phong Vu answered

Need help understanding ClientId in multitenant app using embeddable widget

Sorry for the newbie question, but I've scoured the docs without luck and am clearly just missing something.

I'm integrating the embeddable widget into our custom CRM, which is a multitenant web app. When I created my RC app in the dev portal, I tested using my user from that sandbox account, and the tutorials all had me setting up a clientId and adding that to the src url as a query param.

When I sign in to RC from within my CRM (using the widget) using a user from a completely different org (i.e. using a personal account), it doesn't seem to actually matter whether or not I include the clientId query param.

So, my question: do I actually need to include this query param if I simply want any one of our CRM customers to be able to sign in using the embeddable app and their org's RC credentials, (i.e. NOT my RC org). What am I missing here that's going to bite me when I release this to prod? Feels like it should be required, but it doesn't seem to be needed when I'm using a user account from outside of my org.

developer sandboxembeddable
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Phong Vu avatar image
Phong Vu answered

First of all, the app client id is needed for identifying the scope of an app (call app permissions) and issue an access token to a user who is authenticated to access platform features within the selected scope.

Then, there are 2 types of apps, private app and public app.

1. A private app will allow only users under the account that owns the app to get authenticated and use the app.

2. A public app will allow any users under any RingCentral account to get authenticated and use the app.

In your use case scenario, you should create a public app so any company with a RingCentral account can login and use your app.

Hope this helps.

1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys