question

Sebastian Knoop-Troullier avatar image
Sebastian Knoop-Troullier asked Welcome commented

Shared Fax Line

We have setup a dedicated HR Fax line to receive inbound faxes using its own number.

Is there a way that HR employees can send out faxes using the "HR Fax" line as the outbound number? We are trying to avoid confusion when sending outbound faxes, as they show up as the individual user's fax number at the moment.

Also, if the above is not possible, are there any other recommendations on how to accomplish something similar?

fax
6 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

mary-community-moderator avatar image mary-community-moderator ♦♦ commented ·

Hi! If the HR Fax is a user extension, it is not allowed to make it an outbound number by other users. I can't think of any work-around to accomplish this, but we'll try to hear from other members.

0 Likes 0 ·
Brian Park avatar image Brian Park mary-community-moderator ♦♦ commented ·

Hi, so I have a similar issue with our Legal team using a shared Fax number and it was originally setup as a Message only Extension which seems ok for inbound Fax and using the notifications to send an email to specific people or a shared mailbox, but its sending a Fax where they cannot use that number. So talking to support they suggested using a Queue to have the Fax number work both inbound and outbound but I also see other issues posted from other users in the community stating the Queue if its active it makes the users phone ring so the queue has to be disabled. So what are your thoughts on that design, will it work for in and out Faxing with the shared number and how about the disableing the queue to stop ringing?

0 Likes 0 ·
Welcome avatar image Welcome Brian Park commented ·

hi @Brian Park
maybe change the Number type of the Fax number from Voice and Fax, to Fax only? Might help for the call queue. In any case I wouldn't be using a call queue at all

do this instead:
1. Assign Company Fax number to Auto Receptionist:
Phone System > Phone numbers > All Numbers > click on the Company Fax number > select Company fax recipient

2. Check who the Company fax recipient is. Probably use somebody from the legal team.
Phone System > Auto-Receptionist > General Settings > Call Handling > Settings > Fax/SMS Recipient > selecting somebody from legal team makes most sense, for example legaluser1

Assigning the fax number in this way will allow it to be used as an outbound Fax number by everybody

3. Now you want to make sure everybody from Legal receives the fax when the fax recipient is only legaluser1.
Users > click on legaluser1 > Notifications > Messaging Notifications > Advanced Settings.

Customize Notifications for Received Faxes > Include attachment with email
and
Customize Notifications for Received Faxes > add the email addresses of everybody else from legal, in the Send notifications to field

4. Check the outbound Fax settings for everybody in your legal team.
Click on each of them and check > outbound calls/Faxes > Fax Settings
and also check
outbound calls/Faxes > Caller ID > Fax number (just in case although I believe Fax Settings is the important bit)

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
Show more comments

1 Answer

tak-it1 avatar image
tak-it1 answered mary-community-moderator commented

You would park the number on the auto receptionist, make a custom rule under "general settings" that points to the shared fax seat.

After that, you can change the outbound # in the user profile for the faxes to the number you parked on the auto receptionist. Any number (with exceptions, I'll assume your setup is fairly straightforward) that is on the AR can be used for outgoing caller ID for the users.

I do this all the time for my clients. This allows them to show the fax number from their personal extension, and when a fax is sent inbound it will look to the rule and still send to the correct extension that should receive the faxes

1 comment
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

mary-community-moderator avatar image mary-community-moderator ♦♦ commented ·

Great suggestion @tak-it1. Thank you!

0 Likes 0 ·
Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app