question

Tom Simchak avatar image
Tom Simchak asked Becky-Community_Manager commented

TCR registration asks for information that does not exist

I am a sole practitioner. I do not have an EIN. The template that you have to fill in requires an EIN. I am not going to get an EIN just to make RC happy. And my plan is self-service only. No live person to speak to.

I'm getting very frustrated with RC to the point of pulling the plug and going elsewhere.

sms and text messaging
9 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Becky-Community_Manager avatar image Becky-Community_Manager ♦♦ commented ·

@Tom Simchak Our recommendation for unregistered businesses is to get an EIN.
Our understanding is that other providers are taking a similar approach as the sole proprietor option is extremely limited and has additional oversight requirements.

We would recommend using RC Team Messaging or potentially other social messaging solutions like WhatsApp.
Happy to discuss this further - feel free to shoot us an email at Community.Support@RingCentral.com

0 Likes 0 ·
Tom Simchak avatar image Tom Simchak commented ·

Something to throw into the mix...99%+ of my messages are sent from my desktop. Which is not connected to a cell carrier. Does this new policy apply to that sort of usage, too?

0 Likes 0 ·
Becky-Community_Manager avatar image Becky-Community_Manager ♦♦ Tom Simchak commented ·

@Tom Simchak If you are using the text function through the desktop app, it is still subject to the same carrier requirements.
If you are using RingCentral Messaging, that is not SMS or text and is not subject to the same carrier requirements.

0 Likes 0 ·

rc-screen-shot.jpgBecky---I do not use the RC App. As I said, 99%+ of my messages go through what I believe to be the desktop app. I'm not sure what Ring Central Messaging is. This image is what I see when I message. I used the voice screen as the text screen has way too much to redact.

So, what am I using? RC Messaging or the desktop app?

Thanks for your time.

0 Likes 0 ·
rc-screen-shot.jpg (84.6 KiB)
Becky-Community_Manager avatar image Becky-Community_Manager ♦♦ Tom Simchak commented ·

AH!
It doesn't appear that you're using the RingCentral App, but rather the RingCentral Phone App. Regardless, of whether you use it on your phone or desktop, you must register your business for SMS/text to send text messages.

0 Likes 0 ·

Not the answer I was looking for. :(

0 Likes 0 ·

I'm sorry to hear that @Tom Simchak If I can answer additional questions, please feel free to pose them here or shoot us an email at Community.Support@RingCentral.com

0 Likes 0 ·

Becky--I took a look at RC Messaging. It looks like it includes voice as well as messaging. And it's a LOT less expensive than my MVP plan. If Messaging is a stand-alone app, will there be a reduction in cost for my current plan since I no longer can use it to message?

If it is less expensive, I might switch to that plan. But...will I be able to port all my contacts and existing messages over?

Thanks.

0 Likes 0 ·

Tom, if you don't use RCV (RingCentral Video), I assume this could be a good option for you, but I would recommend that you chat with your Account Manager to ensure that your usage would work well with that service shift.
Also, RingCentral Messaging is not texting, but more like an instant message feature.
So, unless your team is using it too, they would not have access to your messages.
This blog has some information about RingCentral Messaging.

Here to help with more questions or guidance!

0 Likes 0 ·

0 Answers

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app