question

Merrilee Guarini avatar image
Merrilee Guarini asked Merrilee Guarini commented

Can I text a PDF?

I just spoke to the Ring Central helpline after attempting to text a PDF document. Helpline claims we should be able to text a PDF, however it's now allowing me to do so. I can text a PNG and a JPEG, but otherwise the options are "grayed out" on my laptop, or a pop up message says "this format is not supported." They mentioned issues like overage on our texting, or the PDF having an issue like a virus, both of which don't make sense. Please clarify if this is possible. Thank you!!

sms and text messaging
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Phong Vu avatar image
Phong Vu answered Merrilee Guarini commented

No you can't send a .PDF file using RingCentral MMS.

Here is a list of supported file formats RingCentral supports.

2 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Merrilee Guarini avatar image Merrilee Guarini commented ·

Thank you for the quick response! May want to let helpline know.

0 Likes 0 ·
Merrilee Guarini avatar image Merrilee Guarini commented ·

Hi again Phong,

Can you please explain why we can not send a PDF via text? This was an old feature that Ring Central did away with and customers have been requesting it, so why is it not being implemented? I found this comment when I was searching for information:

Our company have been using ring central for years, one of the best features was that I was able to send customers their invoices as a PDF in the text messaging. And now this option is gone and since most people do their communication on mobile devises of some sort, faxes are less and less in use. So not only that you removed the softphone option witch I loved,
Now I cannot send a PDF file either.
And it looks like not only PDF was disabled also Excel and anything that is not a jpg or mp3 seriously not cool.
Very disappointing. please allow these option again.

0 Likes 0 ·

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys