question

brandon-scivolette1312 avatar image
brandon-scivolette1312 asked Eric Olsen answered

"RingCentral Phone App" vs "Softphone" in User Device Settings

The majority of our users make and receive calls through the desktop phone app exclusively (they don't use a desk phone or the mobile app). As I was going through user device settings I found that some users have two devices listed- RingCentral Phone app and Softphone- but the former doesn't seem to be utilized. So I'm a bit confused as to why it's showing at all and if this is how it should be.

Here's a screenshot of what I am referring to.

user-device-settings.png

Now, if I open the RC Phone app details, it shows "Offline", which is why I unpublished it.

user-phone-app-settings.png

Conversely, when viewing the softphone details, it shows "Online" and that it is associated with the computer.

softphone-settings.png

So, I guess my question is, what is the point of the 'RC Phone app' as a device? It doesn't seem like it belongs. There's no option to delete it, either. I'm hoping someone can tell me if having the phone app listed is the expected behavior when the desktop app (softphone) is the only device being used and, if not, how to remove it.

phonesoftphonesettings
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Eric Olsen avatar image
Eric Olsen answered

I believe, it's because the user has signed into a secondary phone. For instance, they use MVP to make/receive calls, but then they use the standalone desktop phone app. That's considered a second phone, so the system will assign a secondary phone number so that device can make phone calls.

I've run into this numerous times as well.

To remove the secondary number, you may be able to move the device to a dummy extension, and then delete the dummy extension. This would move any devices back to unassigned inventory.

1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app