question

arnold-mo9006 avatar image
arnold-mo9006 asked will-jensen11557 commented

Can I subscript to other extension's SMS event?

I have an urgent question about subscript to SMS message-store event. If I am an administrator, can I subscript to other extension's SMS event so that I receive the SMS that belongs to their number?

I found the following two links about the present event, but I am just not sure about the SMS event and if it will work for the direct number of other extensions.

https://devcommunity.ringcentral.com/ringcentraldev/topics/read-sms-message-on-another-account

https://devcommunity.ringcentral.com/ringcentraldev/topics/fyfygcftg

Can you please confirm?

sdk
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

anton-nikitin avatar image
anton-nikitin answered
Arnold,

in our current version of the product administrators don't have the access to users' messages including SMS. It means that it is impossible to get information about another user messages neither through regular REST call nor via subscription.

There is an enhancement request to implement permission-based access to other user messages but unfortunately I can't provide any estimates now when it will be approved and released.
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

will-jensen11557 avatar image
will-jensen11557 answered will-jensen11557 commented
Is there any movement on this enhancement request? I currently have a need to archive all SMS in a CRM. It looks like in order to do this I need to iterate over each extension authorizing each request with the user's password. That would mean I need to store the passwords and hope I get notified if someone changes theirs :(
9 comments
1 |3000

Phong Vu avatar image Phong Vu ♦♦ commented ·
Unfortunately, there is no message-store access for company level. This means that even an admin extension cannot access the message-store of other standard extensions. I think this is because of some privacy protection restriction but not 100% sure about it.
0 Likes 0 ·
anton-nikitin avatar image anton-nikitin commented ·
I think if you authorize under SuperAdmin user it will be possible to access other users' messages.

To subscribe you can specify multiple filters (for each extension) in subscription like:

"eventFilters":    [
      "/restapi/v1.0/account/255537016/extension/256440016/message-store/instant?type=SMS",
      "/restapi/v1.0/account/255537016/extension/255537016/message-store/instant?type=SMS"
   ],

See  https://developer.ringcentral.com/api-docs/latest/index.html#!#RefGetInstantMessageEvent

For polling you should be able to explicitly access other users' mailboxes by specifying corresponding extensionId in Message Store API call, see  https://developer.ringcentral.com/api-docs/latest/index.html#!#RefMessageList.html
0 Likes 0 ·
will-jensen11557 avatar image will-jensen11557 commented ·
If I am not mistaken I believe you would still need the password for each extension to get at their messages. 
0 Likes 0 ·
anton-nikitin avatar image anton-nikitin commented ·
You are mistaken. You can authorize under Admin user and access messages of other extensions by providing those extensions' IDs in URI. No need to know the password of every extension.
0 Likes 0 ·
will-jensen11557 avatar image will-jensen11557 commented ·
Great! I'll give it a whirl. I was suspect as most everyone posting about this says it's not possible.
0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys