question

dave-iannuzzi12411 avatar image
dave-iannuzzi12411 asked Leonard leWang Deactivated edited

Send SMS from multiple extensions using RingCentral API

I have a web application that sends SMSs through RingCentral's APIs, but I am only able to sign in and to send SMSs with my account's main number. I would love to send SMSs from many of my extensions mainly to be able to send more SMSs. How can I choose the extension from which I send a SMS?

sdk
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

atari800xl11757 avatar image
atari800xl11757 answered
Zapier will allow you to do this. You'd set up a different zap for each RC user. I'm using the catch hook for the http post triggers.
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Tyler Liu avatar image
Tyler Liu answered atari800xl11757 commented
You can login each extension to send SMS.
3 comments
1 |3000

atari800xl11757 avatar image atari800xl11757 commented ·
Tyler Long - For us, we are unable to send from the main number. Our operator can send from the main number by selecting it when shes logged in the softphone, but the API doesnt seem to allow texting from the main number. Is there a way to make it available?
0 Likes 0 ·
Tyler Liu avatar image Tyler Liu ♦ commented ·
For us, we are unable to send from the main number.
Are there any errors? API does allow you to specify a "from" parameter. If softphone allows you to do so, so does API.

0 Likes 0 ·
atari800xl11757 avatar image atari800xl11757 commented ·
Using Zapier - this is what we I'm getting on the operator's account which does have access to the main number: 

"We had trouble sending your test through. Error: 
The app returned "Phone number doesn't belong to extension". It looks like your connected account doesn't have permission to complete this step. You should contact the administrator for your account and make sure you have the needed permissions."
0 Likes 0 ·
Thiago De Oliveira avatar image
Thiago De Oliveira answered

I also need help with the above issue in Zapier - any solutions here?

1 |3000

Anirban avatar image
Anirban answered

A RingCentral extension is the one which represents a user, in order to send SMS from different extensions as you want, you just require an access token for each extension or user.

You can do it following way:

If you are using a private app with password flow, you can bootstrap the system with static passwords for each extension. After the initial bootstrap you can use the refresh tokens to continue to receive active access tokens.

If you have end users with UI apps, your app can present an OAuth login interface to retrieve an access token for the user which afterwards can follow the use of refresh tokens . This will work with private and public apps.

reference of this answer here

1 |3000

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys