question

harry-chen12804 avatar image
harry-chen12804 asked Saeed Akhter commented

Account Credentials for production envrionment

I saw that in production environment, API username is main company phone number, and extension is default "101", can I change it to other extension(account) for API authentication?

authentication
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

Tyler Liu avatar image
Tyler Liu answered Saeed Akhter commented
Yes, you can authorize using any extension as long as you provide the correct credentials. Be aware that different extension might have different password.
9 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

harry-chen12804 avatar image harry-chen12804 commented ·
Thanks.
But I did not find where I can assign a new extension to my app from the console.
0 Likes 0 ·
Tyler Liu avatar image Tyler Liu ♦ commented ·
What kind of "app" are you talking about? I assume that you are talking about programming. You can authorize with your extension. Please elaborate your use case. Thanks.
0 Likes 0 ·
That's the app I created in "Developers" console.
After I created a new app from RingCentral Developers console, it will give me something like clientID/client Credential, and also "User account credential" for Oauth2. But the "User account credential" is always the extension "101", I did not find any way to change it.
0 Likes 0 ·
Phong Vu avatar image Phong Vu ♦♦ commented ·
Hi Harry,

You are correct that after you created an app, you get the clientID and the client Secret. But you are incorrect that you will get the "User account credentials" for OAuth2. Also you question title was about for production environment.

Let's step back and talk first about the sandbox environment. I will mention about the production environment later.

After you signed up for a RingCentral developer account and the first time you create an app, the system will guide you to create a sandbox environment and assign the first extension 101 to the sandbox account.

That extension has the main company number, the same email address as the one you used to sign up for RC developer account.

During the sandbox creation, you have to set the password for the admin extension 101. At this point, your sandbox account has just one extension.

If you want to create more extensions (Users) under the sandbox account, you have to login the devtest service (use the main company number as the username and the password you just set during the sandbox creation process) then create a new extension and assign phone number to that new extension.

Each extension you create under that account will require a unique email address, a username (phone number) and a password.

When you create an app, it is always created in the sandbox environment.

That means that you get the clientID and client Secret for the sandbox environment.

While creating your app, you select the platform type for the app, that will define the authorization method. More info

If the platform type requires Authorization flows (OAuth2), you must provide ways for your users to login. See this tutorial

If the platform type allows Password flow, you will provide the username and password of the user (extension) who want to login. Be it the 101 or 102 or whichever extension under the sandbox account.

You can always login any extension with the main company number and specify the extension number (101 or 102 etc). But the password must be the password set for that extension!

Production environment

When you graduate the app, the system will generate a new client ID and new client Secret for the production environment.

You need to change the Client ID/Secret in your code, replace the ones for sandbox with the production ones.

You will login the same way as you did for the sandbox account. But with user's credentials for your production account.

Hope this helps.

+ Phong

0 Likes 0 ·
Saeed Akhter avatar image Saeed Akhter Phong Vu ♦♦ commented ·

Please bear with my ignorance but how exactly we "graduate" the app/account from Dev to Production? Please share any link or pointers.

Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
thanks for your so detail explanation.

What I am wondering is, I created my sandbox environment by my own extension not that 101 extension (because I even don't know the password of 101). So why the default user account is still 101?
0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys