question

tt2 avatar image
tt2 asked Byrne Reese edited

Fax FAQ

How do I know if a fax transmission through the API succeeded?

When you are sending a fax message through the FaxOut API, you can check the status of this transmission. Outgoing faxes pass through several workflow phases, so when you have just sent an API request messageStatus property Queued (this status is returned in the FaxOut API response). After some time (usually within couple of minutes) the status of the fax message will be changed to either Sent (which means that message was sent successfully) or to Sending Failed. You can call the Get Message or the Get Message List API to check the status of a particular message. The Get Message end point is provided in the uri property of the Send Fax response.

How can I set the cover page "To" value?

The To attribute on the cover page is set two ways. If the to.name property is set in the request body, that value will be used on the cover page. If it is not set, the system will create a name by concatenating the firstName and lastName attributes of the address book contact with a matching businessFax number attribute.

How can I disable fax cover page?

To disable the coverpage, set the coverIndex setting to 0 per the GET /restapi/v1.0/dictionary/fax-cover-page endpoint. This is described in the Send Fax section of the API Reference.

How can I customize fax cover page?

RingCentral provides a set of cover page styles that you can choose from. To use an existing cover page style, retrieve a list of cover page styles by calling the GET /restapi/v1.0/dictionary/fax-cover-page endpoint and then use the index you want was the coverIndex value in the /restapi/v1.0/account/~/extension/~/fax endpoint. If you want to use your own custom cover page, disable the system cover page by setting coverIndex to 0 and then adding your own cover page as the first page of your fax message.

How can I send multiple files as one fax?

Just add each file as a MIME part. You can mix and match different MIME types. The Ruby fax helper has an .add_file() method that can be used in succession to add multiple files.

How can I resend or forward a fax?

You can avoid uploading the same fax file multiple times by resending or forwarding a fax that has already been submitted to RingCentral. To resend a fax, call the fax endpoint with the originalMessageId property. To forward the fax, also add the new recipient's number as the to property. More information on resending faxes is available in the API Reference.

What file types are supported for faxes?

RingCentral supports 29 file types including PDF, TIFF, DOCX, DOC, XLSX, XLS, RTF, HTML, XML and many more. These are listed in the API Developer Guide along with the accepted MIME types.

Can I fax an HTML page with inline images?

Inline images using Data URIs in the image tag and CSS properties are not supported yet. To use images in HTML files, please use links.

Is there a limit on fax file size?

Fax files are limited to 20 MB or 200 pages.

How can I view sent faxes in the Service Web Portal?

Yes, faxes sent via the API can be viewed in the Service Web Portal (https://service.ringcentral.com) in both Messages > Sent Items and in the Call Log. The rendered fax documents can be downloaded from Messages > Sent Items.

How can I retrieve a sent fax via API?

When sending a fax via the API, the fax message messageId and rendered fax attachmentId can be used in the message store endpoints to retrieve the message information or attachment. Authorized apps can retrieve faxes for the user that authorized the app. Admin user authorized apps can retrieve faxes for the account.

What formats can faxes be stored and retrieved in?

RingCentral supports storing faxes as PDF and TIFF files. The configuration preference is available per extension. Upon retrieval, the Content-Type HTTP response header will be set to application/pdf or image/tiff.

Is it possible to find out why sending a fax failed?

If a fax transmission fails, the reason is reported in the Call Log Record's result property. It is also presented in the Service Web Portal.

Is it possible to send a fax without the fax header line?

Not at this time. In the US, it is unlawful to send a fax without the header line consisting of the following "the date and time it is sent and an identification of the business, other entity, or individual sending the message and the telephone number of the sending machine or of such business, other entity, or individual." This applies to all faxes based on content and delivery method (e-fax or traditional fax machines). This is specified in US 47 CFR § 68.318(d). For advertising specifically, this is also covered under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act of 1991 (TCPA), 47 USC § 227(d)(1)(B).

Is it possible to receive faxes via API?

Yes. When a fax is sent to a RingCentral number, received faxes can be accessed via the RingCentral API's message-store endpoint. To retrieve a list of incoming faxes, call the message-store endpoint with messageType=Fax and direction=Inbound to return a list of fax data that can be used to retrieve fax media in PDF or TIFF format.

How long are my sent faxes stored?

Sent faxes are stored for 30 days. Additional information is available in RingCentral KB 1894. To retrieve your sent faxes, you can use the RingCentral Message Store API or the RingCentral Archiver service.

How can I send a fax via curl?

To use curl with the RingCentral API, you need to make two curl calls. One to retrieve an access token and another to use the access token to make the API call, sending a fax in here. To retrieve an access token, see the API Reference. If you have enabled OAuth 2.0 password flow, you can use the following curl command to retrieve an access token:

curl -u '{clientId}:{clientSecret}' -d 'grant_type=password&username={username}&extension={extension}&password={password}' -X POST https://platform.devtest.ringcentral.com/restapi/oauth/token

Once you have the response, you can use the access_token parameter in the response to make a fax call follows.

curl -H 'Authorization: Bearer {accessToken}' -F 'to={toNumber}' -F 'coverPageText={coverPageText}' -F attachment=@{filepath} -X POST https://platform.devtest.ringcentral.com/restapi/v1.0/account/{acccountId}/extension/{extensionId}/fax

Is providing a filename in the Content-Disposition header necessary?

A filename isn't necessary but if you provide one, it will be displayed in the RingCentral Online Account Portal.

Why can the faxPageCount change?

When a fax request is first submitted the faxPageCount is set to 0 when when messageStatus is set to Queued because the fax hasn't been rendered yet so the number of pages haven't been counted. When the fax is successfully rendered and sent with messageStatus set to Sent the faxPageCount will be properly populated. In the event that the message is not successfully sent and the messageStatus is set to SendingFailed, the faxPageCount property may or may not be sent depending on the type of failure.

Will retrieving a rendered fax attachment change the read status?

Retrieving a fax attachment file via the API will not change the read status to Read from Unread. This is desirable as retrieving the fax document maybe for archival and other purposes that should not indicate the fax was read. To change the status, use the Update Message API call.

Why does my PDF fax have rendering issues?

Some faxes may use unsupported features and require flattening before sending them to the RingCentral API. Some PDF flattening tools include GraphicsMagick / ImageMagick and Ghostscript.

What is causing the delay in the delivery of my faxes?

Usually, sending faxes with the RingCentral API takes our services less than 2 minutes to send a fax from the moment when the request has been successfully processed from your request(s).

However, the delay between the moment when a fax is created in the RingCentral database (for logging and processing) and when it was sent can depend on many parameters (number of recipients, complexity and size of attached files, etc).

When sending a fax, what does the API error "No call time. You did not have enough available Calling Credits to send this fax" mean?

Sandbox accounts have a limited number of fax minutes per month. This API error means the account has run out of minutes for the current month. By default, sandbox accounts come with 500 minutes per month. You can view your monthly minute usage and rollover date in the sandbox Online Account Portal. Login to the sandbox Online Account Portal at https://service.devtest.ringcentral.com with an administrator account and then go to Billing > Service Plan. Your usage for the current month is available under Usage Info and your rollover date is listed as Next Billing Date.

When receiving a fax, why do a get a voice call with a fax tone?

First, the number should be configured for fax services. To check this, retrieve the extension endpoint (account/~/extension/~/{extensionId} and check that the serviceFeatures for Fax and FaxReceiving are enabled.

There is also a Take Messages user setting that must be enabled since faxes are a form a message. This setting is available in the Online Account Portal under Settings > Messages & Notifications > User Hours (or Business Hours) . Take Messages.

If the settings above are enabled and this occurs, there may be an issue with the line quality preventing the RingCentral service from recognizing the fax tones for automatic processing. If this is the case, please contact our support team who can work with you on your line quality.

Do I need multiple sandbox accounts to support multiple fax numbers?

This depends on how you intend your application to work with the multiple fax numbers.

If you intend the multiple fax numbers to be owned by a single production RingCentral customer, then you only need a single Sandbox Account to represent the single Production Account. Within a single Sandbox (or Production) Account, you can create multiple Direct Numbers for fax that can be either Company Numbers (no extension) or a Direct Extension Number (associated with an extension).

If you intend the multiple fax numbers to be owned by and associated with multiple production RingCentral Customers, then you can create multiple Sandbox Accounts to represent the multiple Production Accounts.

How many faxes can I send per minute or per hour via the API?

The throttling rates per API are determined by your RingCentral API Usage Plan and the API group for the API in question. The fax API is classified as a Heavy API which is set to 10 requests/minute by default so the fax rate is 10 per minute or 600 per hour. Higher rate usage plans may be available to you depending on your use case. Create a support case if you wish to request an increase your sending rate.

How to test the email to fax feature in sandbox?

It is possible to send faxes to a RingCentral user/extension number via email. Here is a tutorial: https://devcommunity.ringcentral.com/ringcentraldev/topics/using-the-email-to-fax-feature-with-your-sandbox-account

getting started
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

kevin-truong72 avatar image
kevin-truong72 answered
If I am using my application in SandBox, will I still see sent out faxes on Service Web Portal under Messages > Sent or this only works for Production applications?

1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

ak avatar image
ak answered
You should be able to see the "Sent" faxes in both Production and Sandbox Environment under call logs and Message Store however downloading the fax attachments  is possible in Service Web Portal under Message > Sent ( Production / Sandbox )

1 |3000

Developer sandbox tools

Using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, you can dial or receive test calls, send and receive test SMS or Fax messages in your sandbox environment.

Download RingCentral Phone for Desktop:

Tip: switch to the "sandbox mode" before logging in the app:

• On MacOS: press "fn + command + f2" keys
  • On Windows: press "Ctrl + F2" keys