question

Jordan Humphrey avatar image
Jordan Humphrey asked cj-williams answered

How do I forward calls to another extension after a timeout (skip voicemail and send them to a queue/operator)?

So, I have an extension in my company that goes to our warehouse. If someone dials it, rather than going to voicemail if the phone cannot be answered, I would like to set up logic that would simply forward the call (roll-over) to a call queue (such as Ext. 108). I tried adding just the extension in call handling, but it seems I am not allowed to do that. Is there a workaround?

call forwarding
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

danno147 avatar image
danno147 answered

Heres what I did with a similar situation:

In Call Handling, the first entry is the warehouse IP phone, and I have it set for 20 seconds.

The second entry is the front desks DID number NPA-NXX-XXXX and I have it set to 50 seconds.

Then at the bottom of this tab, under Phones will ring: I set as Sequentially.

Is this what you were looking for?

1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

Jordan Humphrey avatar image
Jordan Humphrey answered danno147 commented
I don't want to use DID numbers. I would rather say in an advanced rule: "If ring for xx seconds and no answer, ring ext ###." -- This would eliminate the need for voicemail on the actual extension. The other option I guess would be to not give out the extension to anyone and always tell them to call ext 108 if they need to reach the warehouse...
3 comments
1 |3000

danno147 avatar image danno147 commented ·

Oh ok, try this. 

Still in the Call Handling tab, go down to Forward to other user's phones and pick extension 108, then set the timer to 75 seconds.  So it will ring warehouse phone for 20 seconds and then another 75 seconds at 108.  That way no calls should go into the warehouse VM, that is unless the person stays on the phone for the entire 95 seconds.  Try that and see if you like it.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jordan Humphrey avatar image Jordan Humphrey commented ·
To clarify, extension 108 is a call queue... I want customers to go into the queue. That's how I had it set up on my old PBX.
0 Likes 0 ·
danno147 avatar image danno147 commented ·
Honestly, you are probably better addressing with the party who sold you the service and did the pre-implementation due diligence. ok?
0 Likes 0 ·
mike avatar image
mike Deactivated answered
Jordan,  Here's another idea that might work for you. There's a way to forward to a "ring group", sometimes called a "hunt group". Here's a help topic that explains how. 

Forwarding to other user's phones, adding phone, and Ring Groups
1 |3000

cj-williams avatar image
cj-williams answered

We also need call queue to be able to forward to another 'backup' call queue extension after a set amount of time.

1 |3000

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app