question

james-bruce-sheridan1221 avatar image
james-bruce-sheridan1221 asked lauri-nelson answered

Desktop App: Bluetooth headset not connecting

Several different types of bluetooth headsets will not answer or end a call with RingCentral Win 7.5.2. I have tried on several different Win7 laptops. The headsets are high-end - Jabra, Creative, and Klipsch. On each machine the bluetooth connection was established, Win7 reports all BT headset, handsfree etc services running properly. All BT headsets worked properly in audio sink mode with iTunes . The headsets, with 7.5.2, cannot answer or end a call, although my voice carried thru the headset mic to the caller. I could NOT hear the caller. I tried with audio settings pointing directly to the correct device and then with them pointing to 'Same as system' (which was pointing to same device). HELP! I was told that RingCentral supports bluetooth headsets before I committed. In this day and age you would expect RingCentral to work with MOST BTs, not the just the few that are listed. I prefer to believe there is just a setting or version wrong somewhere because otherwise it's a show stopper for what has been an excellent solution to date. Thanks for any info you can provide.

ringcentral app
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

derrick-bozkurt240 avatar image
derrick-bozkurt240 answered
James,

If multiple headsets are not outputting audio as expected, it does seem like a configuration issue. 

Aside from the softphone's audio settings, Windows does have some additional audio controls you will want to look into. Pull up your Control Panel and navigate to the Sound options. Within this panel, there is a Communications tab: 

You will want to make sure this is set to "Do Nothing". Otherwise, Windows overrides your output volume to the selected degree, which is possibly what you are experiencing. 

Once you have made this change, please let us know if this resolves your issue or not. 

Regards,
Derrick Bozkurt
Tier III Technician

1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

james-bruce-sheridan1221 answered
Thanks for the rapid response Derrick! I set Communications to 'do nothing' and rebooted but Creative and Klipsch BT headsets will still not answer calls.  When the headset BT originally connects at boot time Windows 7 reports connected "successfully connected" and  "Stereo audio gateway services". I confirmed for both devices had these BT services enabled:  Audio Sink, Hands Free Telephony, Headset, and Remote Control. When I click on each device in the Control Panel > Bluetooth Devices it shows Device Type as Audio Headset in blue font but it is not an active link. I have pointed RingCentral directly to the devices, just in case 'Same as System' was getting confused. No luck. Regular audio works - just no call control which sort of defeats the purpose (at least for me). I am sure this is a silly config problem, but I do have call control in  Skype and Cisco Webex Connect. Thank-you so much for your efforts Derrick, and anyone else who can help!

1 |3000

James,

Glad to hear that the audio is passing through. 

I reached out to my team to verify call controller compatibility with the headsets you mentioned. At this time, we support call control functionality with Plantronics headsets only. Regretfully, using those headsets in this capacity is not just a simple setting or configuration issue. 

We do have integration with the other manufacturers on the radar, but at this time those Klipsch and Creative models will not function as far as a call controller specifically. The reasoning behind this fact is that the softphone just won't recognize the unique commands from those headsets, and needs to be updated to work with these other headsets as we broaden this feature. 

You could consider using the hotkey feature of the softphone as an alternative while we continue to improve the application in this capacity. 

Derrick Bozkurt
Tier III Technician
1 |3000

james-bruce-sheridan1221 answered
Thank-you again for unheard-of speed and content in support environment. I appreciate the insight you also provided in your response. Unfortunately I have a lot invested in BT handset/free etc headsets for my team which I cannot yet retire, but can use with call control on other solutions. Derrick - can you suggest an approx timeframe for RingCentral's expansion of headsets with call-control might happen? Although I won't hold you to it - it will affect the choice I am about to make.
I have experience with Plantronics  - they are nice in general but a little expensive. Jabra is moving fast and I am sure there are others. If you would like to form a customer-experience product-eval  team from technically-mined customers I would be pleased to contribute across the call-control equipped line. I am not sure what to do in the present. Has anyone out there managed to find a reliable low-to-medium priced headset that is stereo, over-or-on the ear, bluetooth,  and with solid call-control?
1 |3000

James,

I will contact the team responsible for that integration and let you know what they come back with. 

Derrick Bozkurt
Tier III Technician
1 |3000

kayla-boone9935 avatar image
kayla-boone9935 answered saadetswift16514 commented
Have there been any updates to this? I recently purchased a BT Logitech H800 headset and am not able to pick-up or hang-up calls from the headset either. Would love to know if there are any configuration changes needed to make this happen. 

Thank you!

Kayla
1 comment
1 |3000

saadetswift16514 avatar image saadetswift16514 commented ·
Hey Kayla,

Here is a list of recommended headsets to use with your softphone. At this time, it doesn't look like we support that particular one which is why the pick-up/hang-up doesn't work as expected - as Derrick mentioned earlier.
0 Likes 0 ·
jan-de-smet13111 avatar image
jan-de-smet13111 answered
Hi,

Just wondering if ringCentral, after initial reporting this issue, ever "invested time" towards a solution. And if the Recommended Headsets list will ever be updated? 

I still have the same Issues in Mac OSX and Windows 7 / 10
Wouldn't it be easy to add and option in the settings for not switching audio profiles?

1 |3000

cglassy3135 avatar image
cglassy3135 answered
2287 USA based users, 28 different sites,  3800 DID lines - all Polycom VVX500 phones

2018-12-13 Yes RingCentral is investing engineering effort on this particular issue and getting closer to a solution, but they are not there yet. they are aware that it effects many users on the Desktop and Mobbile use of their apps. I met with their team at the ConnectCentral Conference in Nov 2018 and discussed this issue at length. Please follow along on this issue on our tracker here  http://ringcentraladminusersgroup.org/faq/headsets.html
1 |3000

rod-miller avatar image
rod-miller answered
So, BlueTooth is a well established standard, adopted by every mobile / IoT ... wireless device maker in the world, and now working itself into version 5.0.  Why does a BlueTooth v4 device not work with RingCentral?  
1 |3000

rod-miller avatar image
rod-miller answered
Hmmm - working with v11.01 -  wish that repair filtered through - have a brand new Bluetooth set of earbuds, call cuts out part way through the call...
1 |3000

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app