question

Ed Estes avatar image
Ed Estes asked admin-ext answered

Lines usage and reports on busy signals

Is there a way to monitor how many lines are in use and whether a customer would have received a busy signal? We have added a few new employees and suddenly we have customers indicating they are getting a busy signal when calling us. Previously we handled all calls through a couple of VoIP phones but we've recently started using desktop/smartphone apps.

I don't know if this is a configuration issue, if calls are being forwarded (thus tying up an incoming and outgoing line) or something else that would account for this. It would be nice to graph how many of our lines were in use during a time period.

My assumption is that an extension to extension call shouldn't use one of the main lines, right? Up until now, everyone was in the same office so we chatted in person. Now with two locations there are many internal communications being done between extensions.

Thanks!

--Ed

phone
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

nathan-malone1532 avatar image
nathan-malone1532 answered jason-fingerhut11738 commented
Hello Ed,

Callers should never hear a busy signal on your system. If they are hearing a busy signal that usually points to a routing problem. If you ported number in from another carrier sometimes old translations can get stuck and certain people won't get through because their carrier is trying to send them to where the number used to be rather than where it is on RingCentral.

Even if all the available lines on a phone were tied up the call should just go to the voicemail box of the extension the person was trying to call. When things are working correctly your customers would never hear a busy signal.

To address any routing issues causing busy tones, it would probably be best to open a support ticket so that we can get call samples and investigate the issue.
3 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

jason-fingerhut11738 avatar image jason-fingerhut11738 commented ·
I am experiencing this exact same issue with people calling a recently ported 888 phone number. They are calling from Puerto Rico, but when I call from the states I get through...
0 Likes 0 ·
saadetswift16514 avatar image saadetswift16514 commented ·
Hey Jason! Please open a case so we can take a closer look

0 Likes 0 ·
jason-fingerhut11738 avatar image jason-fingerhut11738 commented ·

I already have. I needed to escalate this late last night. It is very strange. All other phone numbers function just fine...
0 Likes 0 ·
coseboc-org avatar image
coseboc-org answered mary-community-moderator commented
We are experiencing the same problem with busy signals.  Please open a case.
1 comment
1 |3000

mary-community-moderator avatar image mary-community-moderator ♦♦ commented ·
Hello!

Please coordinate with our Technical Support.

0 Likes 0 ·
admin-ext avatar image
admin-ext answered
I'm seeing the same issue, and the numbers were never ported and are NOT forwarded.

1 |3000

bjsvec avatar image
bjsvec answered
Agreed, you should not get busy signals.  Is the number callers are hearing busy signal from ported to RingCentral or just forwarded to RingCentral?  If forwarded, it could explain it because often the call forward from the other provider will only allow a limited number of calls to forward at a time.  Sometimes just one at a time.
1 |3000

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app