question

deanpar7605 avatar image
deanpar7605 asked jenn-community-moderator commented

Network: Failover to 2nd ISP

Small office with 30 phones - we have a Cisco 5520 firewall configured to failover to a secondary ISP (Different Static IP) if we lose service, the failover happens in 2 seconds -- is there any way to keep phone calls alive if the outgoing IP address changes mid call?

In my testing the phone has a registration problem when the failover occurs

The internet has no issue when the failover happens - videos continue to stream, email works, etc.

hardware
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

danno147 avatar image
danno147 answered
SIP trunking will drop when the primary connection is lost.  Will need time to re-register on the secondary connection.
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

bjsvec avatar image
bjsvec answered
Search for BigLeaf. They and some others have specialized SDN appliances designed for redundant voip circuits.
1 |3000

bjsvec avatar image
bjsvec answered
I'll leave this here:  http://www.bigleaf.net/overview/
1 |3000

ringcentral35 avatar image
ringcentral35 answered bjsvec commented
DeanPar, what equipment are you using now as a Failover? we have a couple of offices with Charter/CenturyLink + Verizon, but we have the same problem if the main line goes down, after a couple of seconds the Wireless Verizon line comes up, but the phones need time to re-register... BigLeaf is a 3rd party company providing continuous service ? Interesting... Is the only way to do it ?
1 comment
1 |3000

bjsvec avatar image bjsvec commented ·
I have not used BigLeaf first hand, but have researched them a bit.  I think the gist of it is their box does load balancing in a smart way (SDN buzz word) and makes all connections appear to come from one IP address effectively fooling the hosted service provider into thinking you have a single circuit when you may actually have two or more.
0 Likes 0 ·
deanpar7605 avatar image
deanpar7605 answered
Claudio - We failover from one ISP to another ISP (Comcast Cable - Verizon FIOS) - but have issues with the phones. Both ISP connections go into a Cisco Firewall which is setup to monitor the primary connection out to 4.4.2.2 - if the ping echos stop for more than 2 secs we failover - the Firewall senses when the connection is available and reverts back. Currently we are tracking which service is the most reliable and using that as primary... I have not yet looked into BigLeaf - did a little reading and may contact them...
1 |3000

Brad Johnson avatar image
Brad Johnson answered jenn-community-moderator commented

Does anyone know the time required to re-register, willing to sacrifice the existing call but can't wait 10 minutes for the phones to come back on line.

1 comment
1 |3000

jenn-community-moderator avatar image jenn-community-moderator ♦ commented ·

Hello @Brad Johnson, apologies! I highly suggest you create a case for this. You can click HERE, to open a case. Thank you!

0 Likes 0 ·
Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app