question

rhonda3191 avatar image
rhonda3191 asked 2202-tony-martino commented

Mobile App: How to disable users profile pictures?

Ring Central Cell phone app adds user profile pics to my phones gallery of pictures. I don't want this to happen. I keep deleting, they come back after I talk to someone through the app.

ringcentral appmobile
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

rhonda3191 avatar image
rhonda3191 answered rhonda3191 commented
I am not talking about the pics I see in the mobile app. I am saying they are going into my photos on my phone in my gallery. I don't want them all in there. How can I stop that? 
Thanks 
3 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

kim avatar image kim commented ·
So your RingCentral Mobile App is pulling your cell phone personal contacts? Is this correct?
Do you have an Android or iPhone? 
0 Likes 0 ·
kim avatar image kim commented ·
For iPhone go into your iPhone Settings > Select RingCentral > under Allow RingCentral to access.... Turn Contacts OFF 
0 Likes 0 ·
rhonda3191 avatar image rhonda3191 commented ·
Thanks, I have an Android and I am not finding a similar setting or one in the Ring Central settings.
0 Likes 0 ·
John avatar image
John answered 2202-tony-martino commented
Hello Rhonda,

My understanding of what you are saying (and it seems very straightforward to me) is that just like any smartphone, your smartphone has a photo gallery where it stores photos that you take with your smartphone camera and any photos that you might otherwise import from another digital camera or other computer or whatever. All smartphones have a photo gallery like that. The gallery is more or less just a file folder where the smartphone stores photos. It's like the Photos and Videos folders that automatically come installed on a Windows computer.

My understanding is that the problem you are having is that when you talk with someone who is a contact in your RingCentral contacts, and when you also have a photo of that person in their contact file, the app places a copy of the photo in your photo gallery with all your other photos, such as photos that you have taken with your smartphone camera.

Is this correct?

It doesn't have anything to do with turning contacts off.

I have an Android phone. On my phone, the contacts photos are automatically stored in a folder named "clusb" which is in the "Phone" folder at the very root of the internal phone storage. But I only have five or six contacts for whom I've added photos to their contact files. And I haven't called or received calls from any of them, so I don't know what would happen in that event. At present, I find no copies of those contact photos in the gallery for the camera.

If you have an iPhone, there may be some method to help you. If not, you might have to just go through your contacts on the phone and delete the photos for each contact that has a photo. At the same time, if you are syncing your phone with contacts from the cloud or from your computer, and if those contacts lists contain photos, they're likely to be reintroduced to your contacts on your phone during the sync process.
6 comments
1 |3000

John, yes, you are correct, they show up in a separate album in my photo gallery. It just is strange I can't control that they just keep coming back after I delete them as soon as I talk to the person again through my RC App. Not to mention sometimes I am looking to show someone a pic on my phone and they see those and say who is that and why do you have a close up picture of them on your phone........... 

Thanks in advance for the help. 
0 Likes 0 ·
John avatar image John commented ·
Let me see if I can replicate it by adding a photo to a friend's contact file on my phone and getting them to call me to see if it adds their photo to my camera gallery. Not sure when I can do this, maybe sometime later today.
0 Likes 0 ·
Actually, the photo comes from them having added it into their Ring Central for Windows profile. It adds the photo every time I talk to them, so if I don't delete them, I get duplicates too! 

By the way, I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 5. 
0 Likes 0 ·
Well, I might not be able to help, because we don't use photos like that here. We don't even use RingCentral contacts, but only the contacts on our cell phones.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 4.

I'll still try it as soon as I can like I said and let you know what happens, both when I get a chance.
0 Likes 0 ·
Sorry, but I've looked at it further and haven't been able to come up with any answers.
0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
kim avatar image
kim answered
Rhonda - if the user has a Picture uploaded to their RingCentral App Profile, it will sync on the account and show up on your app.  There is no way for you to disable/delete the images if a User has one uploaded.  Everyone on the account will syncs. 
1 |3000

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app