question

lamberson avatar image
lamberson asked mary-community-moderator commented

Can a virtual extension be tied to a physical phone?

I am curious if I can add a virtual extension and tie it to a physical phone.

hardwareextension
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

lamberson avatar image
lamberson answered
I apologize, my question was kind of vague.

She wants to use a physical phone to answer incoming calls to the main number. But the main number is registered to too many devices. I was wondering if I could make a call que and assign a virtual extension to a physical phone and use that to answer incoming calls alongside the main number. Hope that makes sense.
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

danno147 avatar image
danno147 answered
You mean like a Presence key?
1 |3000

lamberson avatar image
lamberson answered
Sorry for the confusion. This is a previous post I had made that explains the situation. This might make it a little more clear for what I am needing.

https://community.ringcentral.com/ringcentral/topics/how-many-devices-can-the-main-number-be-assigne...

I am told that a line can only be attached to 1 physical phone and 1 soft phone, not just two soft phones. However, I tested it on our system and seemed to work just fine on 2 soft phones. So I want to test to see if we can assign her main number to two soft phones (two separate laptops), then add a physical phone, assign a virtual extension to it, then create a call que and have all three devices ring simultaneously.

Thank you for your help and sorry if this sounds confusing. 
1 |3000

danno147 avatar image
danno147 answered
Right. But you could program as a presence key.
1 |3000

lawrence4564 avatar image
lawrence4564 answered danno147 commented
It seems you are not allowed to connect a SIP device to a virtual extension as a Digital Line is required. Is that correct?
1 comment
1 |3000

danno147 avatar image danno147 commented ·
There's your answer.
0 Likes 0 ·
Dr Yan avatar image
Dr Yan answered mary-community-moderator commented
Now, i have a similar question. Can a virtual number be assigned to a desk phone, and have that assigned to an existing user?
1 comment
1 |3000

mary-community-moderator avatar image mary-community-moderator ♦♦ commented ·
Hello,

Virtual cannot be assigned directly to a desk phone, however, if a virtual number is assigned to an extension that has a desk phone, it will be a direct number that can ring the desk phone directly.
0 Likes 0 ·
danno147 avatar image
danno147 answered
You could set the main number to ring a virtual extension, and have a Presence key appearance of the virtual extension.  Is that what you are looking for?
1 |3000

lawrence4564 avatar image
lawrence4564 answered
For my use case a separate physical phone is needed (I think). I'm trying to get around a cabling issues between a Polycom IP 7000 and a computer for VC. We want to just have an auto-answer SIP device (Snom PA1) with line out/in connected to a micro PC. I thought paging would work, but that is one-way audio. Tried using the display speakers, but had echo issues. I thought a virtual extension would work, but apparently not unless we use the softphone and some software to create a virtual sound card to cross the audio (or even a USB soundcard). All very messy... With a PBX this would be simple to do...
1 |3000

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app