question

berksrunner6446 avatar image
berksrunner6446 asked saadetswift16514 commented

SMS Drop Down Menu

The App interface appears to have changed, as I no longer see an option to select a "from" number -- in act, the entire "from" data field appears to be missing. Can someone please confirm that this is correct? Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: SMS: Texting to and from the Main Number.

sms and text messaging
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

saadetswift16514 avatar image
saadetswift16514 answered
Are you texting from the Super Admin extension or your personal extension?
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

berksrunner6446 answered
I am texting from my personal extension, but I have Super Admin privileges.
1 |3000

Ok, and are you using the Mobile app or the Desktop app? What version are you on? I want to see if I can replicate this with my test account :)
1 |3000

berksrunner6446 answered
thanks!  I am using the iPhone (iOS) app, iPhone 6s plus, version 9.4.2
1 |3000

So, I'm trying to get more information on this but here are my findings thus far:

For some reason the drop down menu is not available if you are signed into the System Mailbox extension (usually 101 unless it was changed)- this is the original extension (Super Admin) for the account. However, all other Super Admin extension get the drop down menu.

I'm still waiting for our Product Team to get back to me regarding if this is working as designed or if there is a bug in the system.
1 |3000

berksrunner6446 answered saadetswift16514 commented
Thanks
5 comments
1 |3000

chris-duquette4018 avatar image chris-duquette4018 commented ·
if you have a direct number and not just your main company number try logging into that and texting.
1 Like 1 ·
saadetswift16514 avatar image saadetswift16514 commented ·
Ok, sorry for the delay! Please disregard what I said prior about this being dependent upon Roles.

What I discovered is that in order to have access for the drop down menu, the extension has to have more than one number attached to it (you can send on behalf of whatever number is under your extension). So, in your instance, you only have one phone number attached - if you want to be able to send SMS on behalf of another number, then it will need to be added to your extension.

Now, the caveat to this is that if your extension is listed as the Operator (located under Auto-Receptionist), then you will have access to send on behalf of all the numbers listed under the Auto-Receptionist.
0 Likes 0 ·
hales avatar image hales commented ·

I ported in my number and I can not select it as an option to text...  So what do I do to be able to text from the ported number? 801-686-8852 is the number I ported.  I have customers mad that I ma not texting them back..  :( 

0 Likes 0 ·
sandy-yeung1 avatar image sandy-yeung1 commented ·
I have one main company number and one direct number. Should I log in under the Direct Number if I want the drop down menu option and be able to text from either main or direct line? Still trying to figure out the switch to RingCentral app. 

0 Likes 0 ·
Hey Sandy, if you're using the RingCentral Phone app, I would suggest logging into the Main Number in order to have access to change your outbound sms ID to any number. Right now the RC app doesn't support changing your outbound sms ID - yet! We're working on it :) You can follow this thread for updates.
0 Likes 0 ·
hales avatar image
hales answered hales commented
I think porting just takes a few days for SMS to work because it now lets me select.  :)  
2 comments
1 |3000

Hey HALES,

Yep, it can take up to 14 business days. So glad it's working for you! :)
0 Likes 0 ·
hales avatar image hales commented ·
:)  :)  :) 
0 Likes 0 ·
Let me know if you still need help, HALES :)
1 |3000

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app