question

taylor9773 avatar image
taylor9773 asked robbenn-frenette138 commented

Return to Operator from Voicemail

When calling some larger companies and trying to reach an individual, the voicemail will say "leave a message or press 0 to return to the operator". Is this functionality available within RC? It would be nice to give people that option. Otherwise, they have to hang up and redial if the matter is urgent (or can be handled by someone else).

I know that Zero Dialing options exist for the IVR, but am not aware of any similar options for extensions.

1. Account type: Canada
  2. Goal: Add an option to send 'zero' dials on voicemail prompts back to the operator (or a selected extension).
voicemail
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

saadetswift16514 avatar image
saadetswift16514 answered
Hey Taylor,

It's been a while since I tested this but what you can do is create a custom voicemail greeting and leave some dead air in the recording to allow the individual some time to press whatever key will get them back to the Operator Extension.
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

taylor9773 avatar image
taylor9773 answered robbenn-frenette138 commented
Thanks. Does this mean that a caller can access another extension while listening to a voicemail recording? Do they press zero? Is there any documentation on this? I imagine they can't just dial any random extension at that point (before the beep).
3 comments
1 |3000

saadetswift16514 avatar image saadetswift16514 commented ·
Yeah, they can access another extension - as long as they know the extension number :) I don't believe we have any specific documentation on this but it wouldn't be a bad idea to have it out there.

So let me give you an example!

I set a custom voicemail greeting on my extension that says, "Thanks for calling! I'm unavailable right now, feel free to leave me a message. If you would like to get back to the Operator Press (Operator Extension - whatever it is at the moment), if you would like to leave a message with my assistant please press 115" then you leave a few seconds of silence in your recording - to allow the caller some time to dial the extension number before the beep occurs (once the beep has occurred, they are now in YOUR voicemail box and cannot go anywhere). This way our system will recognize the key presses and will be able to route them appropriately. Remember, this only works for actual extension numbers - it's not like an IVR where you can say "Press 2 for Sales" and then the actual call is transferred to extension 9055 which is a Call Queue.

This is the same behavior as when you call a place and during their announcement they say, "If you know your party's extension, you may dial it at any time" - you dial the extension and then are transferred on over.

I hope that makes sense! :)
1 Like 1 ·
taylor9773 avatar image taylor9773 commented ·
I wasn't aware of this functionality. Thank you. And yes, I agree it would be good to have it posted. 
0 Likes 0 ·
robbenn-frenette138 avatar image robbenn-frenette138 commented ·
If the caller presses zero theyll hit the IVR
0 Likes 0 ·
Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app