question

rob-larose9408 avatar image
rob-larose9408 asked David Green answered

Glip helper tool prompt

Many (not all) users were prompted again for admin credentials to install a helper tool today. This is a repeat of what happened the last time the desktop app version was updated.

Last time I spoke with a Glip product head but was essentially told "that shouldn't happen," with no explanation of what this is, how it's triggered, or why some users are prompted while others are silently updated.

Please explain?

ringcentral app
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

saadetswift16514 avatar image
saadetswift16514 answered
Hey Rob! Our Glip team should be reaching out to you :)
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

rob-larose9408 answered
Hi Saadet,

I re-opened the discussion with a Glip PM; Looks like this will happen with any Glip deployment where the app isn't owned by the logged-in user (which is basically every deployment in a business environment).  I can only speak for the macOS desktop app , not Windows.

It's been acknowledged and referred to a more specific PM for the desktop app.

I'll provide more info as I get it.
1 |3000

Chris Rosa avatar image
Chris Rosa answered
Any more info on this? As Rob mentioned, this is a pretty big issue in environments where the user doesn't have admin privs, which is about 90% of my users. I'd rather you released complete binaries/installers that an admin can deploy, rather than using these background updates that will just be problematic for many of your users.

Looking back through this forum, it appears that it's been a problem for quite some time, so it would be helpful if you could find some resolution to this issue soon. Thanks
1 |3000

rob-larose9408 answered saadetswift16514 commented
Hi Chris,

Saadet & the rest of the Community team don't have the ear of the product group(s), and Product and Support aren't aware of the requests here.  Despite it being RC's policy, reporting functionality problems / opening feature requests here in the Community is effectively a polite black hole.

But in my experience, nothing else has been effective on this front, either.  Fellow customers I've spoken to say they are just riding out their term.

3 comments
1 |3000

saadetswift16514 avatar image saadetswift16514 commented ·
Hey Rob, I've followed up on this with our Product Team. More info to come as they look into it!
1 Like 1 ·
Chris Rosa avatar image Chris Rosa commented ·
Anything yet? My users are still seeing these pop-ups, even after updating to the latest Glip release (Version: 19.05.2 (E. 2.0.14) Build: 632 (rev. 0b44c69)).
1 Like 1 ·
Haven't heard anything yet! 
0 Likes 0 ·
ben-greiner2181 avatar image
ben-greiner2181 answered saadetswift16514 commented
This is an ongoing problem and frustration. RingCentral are you aware of this and do you need help fixing it?
3 comments
1 |3000

Hey Ben, the Product Team is aware. I'm waiting for an update on this one! Thank you for your patience :)
0 Likes 0 ·
eric-braun1 avatar image eric-braun1 commented ·
Thanks for keeping us in the loop. In the mean time, is there a useable work-around for this issue?
0 Likes 0 ·
Hey Eric, not that I'm aware of :/
0 Likes 0 ·
kailey-lee avatar image
kailey-lee answered
Was there ever a response from the product team? 
1 |3000

saadetswift16514 avatar image
saadetswift16514 answered
Hey all, I did hear back from the Product Team. They suggested running the following commands from Terminal-let me know how it goes so I can report back on it :)

Those commands should be run in Terminal.
  • Open Launchpad
  • Open Utilities
  • Launch Terminal
 sudo chown -R $(whoami) /Applications/ Glip.app/
 sudo chown -R $(whoami) ~/Library/Caches/com.Glip.Glip/
 sudo chown -R $(whoami) ~/Library/Caches/com.Glip.Glip.ShipIt/
 sudo chown -R $(whoami) ~/Library/Application\ Support/Glip
 sudo chown -R $(whoami) ~/Library/Application\ Support/com.Glip.Glip.ShipIt/
1 |3000

rob-larose9408 answered
Hi Saadet,

This is insultingly lazy /wrong information from your product team.  Moreso because it took 2 months from the last time you asked them.  You should dock their pay.

Non-admin users cannot sudo.

--Rob
1 |3000

Chris Rosa avatar image
Chris Rosa answered
I totally agree with Rob... I just got this answer back from our CSM and was kinda flabbergasted.

This set of sudo commands is not a solution for an office wide deployment. Do you really expect users to do this with every release of Glip? Oftentimes, users don't even have the admin rights to do this kind of thing anyway, so are you expecting sysadmins to do this on a regular basis for all user systems? I just don't get it.

If anything, it just makes me even more concerned about the pending replacement of the RC Phone app with Glip. I really hope you have a viable solution in place before then.
1 |3000

maneesh-gupta avatar image
maneesh-gupta answered
Hello everyone,

I agree that this is a problem and we cannot expect end users to run terminal commands, which need admin rights to work anyway.

The root cause of this issue is that an app which is installed by IT onto a users computer is done under an admin account, and any updates to the app require the same level of access - which is why users see an admin prompt.

One solution to this is to ask IT depts to push the updates and not have the app auto update. 
1 |3000

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app