question

law1 avatar image
law1 asked Dr. Rossana Lopez MD PA answered

My calls are forwarded to my cell. After I receive a call on my cell, how do I forward that call to the phone at the office?

I'm having my calls forwarded to my cell. After I receive a call on my cell, how do I forward that call to the ring central phone at the office?

call forwarding
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

bob-robinson3288 avatar image
bob-robinson3288 answered J.B. Ferguson commented
I typically advise users to use the RC Phone app on their cell instead of forwarding. There are multiple benefits to this, including better identification of work calls, the ability to send and receive work texts on cell, and the ability to disconnect from work by logging out of the app.  In addition to these benefits, you also get the ability to use Call Flip to easily switch the call to your desk phone or desktop app.

Beyond that, if the call is 'live' on your cell, then your mobile provider should have instructions on how to forward calls.
5 comments
1 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 1.0 MiB each and 10.0 MiB total.

shelly-roth5155 avatar image shelly-roth5155 commented ·
This is not really an option when you are trying to transfer the call to someone else, but the Call Flip to the desktop app works well if you want to move the call there instead of staying on your mobile.  I don't agree totally with using the mobile app either in terms of call forwarding, etc.  My mobile app is not giving me the option to put a call on hold and then transfer a call.  We must go searching for the number we want to transfer to and make the transfer all while the person on the other end is still live and can hear everything going on.  We all have to say shhh...call in progress as we look for the number to transfer too.  And then, there is not an option to forward directly to VM.  Only a transfer option, which then rings to all phones, not just the line you were transferring too.  And again, it rings...doesn't have the option to go straight to VM so the caller has to listen to another set of rings.  It works much better on the desktop phone, but is convenient to answer on your cell if you are not at your desk.
0 Likes 0 ·
bob-robinson3288 avatar image bob-robinson3288 commented ·
On the RingCentral app after receiving the call, I get tons of options including Mute and Hold.  I just tested and I cannot Hold then Transfer, but I could Mute then Transfer and my colleague could still talk, but couldn't hear me.  When I tapped Transfer, it gave me my whole address book, including merged cell phone contacts.  There are probably some things that could be improved upon but the RC app certainly provides more flexibility than if the call is only live on the person's cell phone via carrier.  Even then, if the carrier has better options, there is an option on the RC app on iPhone to switch to the carrier line.
0 Likes 0 ·
J.B. Ferguson avatar image J.B. Ferguson commented ·
Shelley....The Call Flip option only works from a cell phone with the RingCentral mobile app. You cannot activate it from the cell phone itself.
0 Likes 0 ·
i am using the RingCentral mobile app.  the Call Flip does work fine.  That was not my issue.
0 Likes 0 ·
Shelly...see my response below.
0 Likes 0 ·
J.B. Ferguson avatar image
J.B. Ferguson answered J.B. Ferguson commented
You won't be able to just forward the ongoing call from your cell phone to your desk phone or desktop app. If you were using the RingCentral mobile app you would be able to FLIP the call to either of those locations.

If the call is on your cell phone via your cell phone provider, the call can only be forwarded before the call comes in. In other words, you would forward your cell phone calls to another number. You can't forward a live call on any provider that I am aware of.

Bob is correct....try using the RingCentral Mobile app and avoid that issue altogether.
2 comments
1 |3000

Thanks, Jan.  You may be referring to the original question on this post, but I do use the RingCentral Mobile app.  That is were i was having the problems with the transfer options going away once I hit the hold button.  I do like the Bob's idea of putting the call on mute before I transfer, at least then the caller doesn't hear everything while I am trying to locate the number to transfer them too, etc.  I would like the option to go directly to the person's VM though as opposed to automatically ringing in to their phone so the caller has to go through another set of rings.  For some reason those options are not available on the MobileApp.
0 Likes 0 ·
Shelly... I was responding to what appeared to be your response to the original posters question. It was kind of confusing because it appeared you were answering their question but then you pointed out your own issue. Thats why I responded as I did. You are correct however that there is an issue with regards to transferring calls from the RingCentral Mobile app to other numbers or voicemail. Not to mention Call Waiting on the iOS version. I personally put a ticket in on that issue one and a half years ago.
0 Likes 0 ·
Dr. Rossana Lopez MD PA avatar image
Dr. Rossana Lopez MD PA answered

I need all the calls directed to the office line 305-836-1696

1 |3000

Work together.
From anywhere.

Team messaging, video meetings
and phone - all in one app.

Get the new RingCentral app